Newhall First Presbyterian Church, 1960s. This brick building replaced the original wooden structure in 1923.
The First Presbyterian Church in Newhall was an outgrowth of the Sunday School classes that were
held during the late 1870s and 1880s in the lounge of the Southern Hotel, on the second floor of the
Newhall School, and in parishioners' homes. The original wooden chapel opened for business May 31, 1891, at Market
Street and Newhall Avenue, on land donated by Margaret Jane (White) Newhall (Jan. 16, 1831 - Nov. 3, 1900), widow of Henry Mayo Newhall, who
had died in 1882. The Newhall family donated about two-thirds of the construction costs.
In 1923, the wooden chapel was moved a couple of hundred feet toward Eighth Street and transformed into a two-story brick
structure that was severely damaged in the Sylmar Earthquake of Feb. 9, 1971.
OX6402: 9600 dpi jpeg from color transparency (35mm slide film).