Official description California Historical Landmark No. 919, from California State Parks Office of Historic Preservation:
NO. 919 ST. FRANCIS DAM DISASTER SITE - The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood a mile and a half north of this spot. On March 12, 1928, just before midnight, it collapsed and sent over twelve billion gallons of water roaring down the valley of the Santa Clara River. Over 450 lives were lost in this, one of California's greatest disasters.
Location: San Francisquito Power Plant No. 2, 32300 N San Francisquito Canyon Rd., 9.2 mi N of Saugus
St. Francis Dam
California Registered Historical Landmark
Dedicated May 21, 1978
Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society
St. Francis Dam Site
On this site in August of 1924 construction started on the St. Francis Dam, a unit of the Los Angeles Aqueduct. When it was completed in May of 1926, this concrete Dam stood 185 feet above Streambed, impounding a 610 surface-acre lake.
At 11:57½ P.M., March 12, 1928, the Dam collapsed causing the second greatest disaster in the state of California. At least 425 lives were lost in the 5½ hours that it took the released water to travel 54 miles down the Santa Clara River Valley to the sea at Ventura.
Arrival of Stagecoach
Denzil Cameron and six-horse Concord coach
Presentation of the colors
Bill Hart District, Boy Scouts of America by Troop 603
Mimi White, President SCVHS
Introduction of special guests
Charles F. Outland, author of Man-Made Disaster
Gerald G. Reynolds, curator & historian
Background of disaster
Gerald G. Reynolds
Introduction of survivors and relatives
Linda Ruiz Cullen
Irene Ruiz McKibben
Thornton Edwards, former member of California Highway Patrol, whose heroic action during the flood saved many lives
Recognition of supportive agencies
Representing the Los Angeles County Fire Dept.
Chief Engineer Clyde Bragdon Jr.
Representing the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Dept.
Captain William Fairchild, Santa Clarita Valley Station
Representing the California Highway Patrol
Lt. John O'Brien, Newhall Station
Representing the U.S. Forest Service
District Ranger David Kohut, Saugus District Angeles National Forest
Delivery of plaque
Paul Sloane, 2nd Vice President, SCVHS
Gerald G. Reynolds
Placement of plaque
Mimi White, SCVHS, Betty Pember, Landmark Chairman, Captain William Smith, Supt. of Camp Four, Los Angeles County Fire Dept., Raymond Guardad, Assistant District Fire Management Officer, Saugus District, U.S. Forest Service
Placerita Junior High School Band
Andy Downs, Director
SPECIAL THANKS TO CONTRIBUTORS
Plaque dedication committee:
Arthur W. Evans, chairman
Don Ray and Denise Ptolemy — publicity
Jerry Reynolds — drawing of dam on front cover
Paul G. Sloane of PGS Graphics, for making the plaque and printing the programs
Bill Smith and boys at County Fire Station 4,
for construction of the monument and preparation of the site.
Ray Guardado and the U.S. Forest Service crew from CETA
Placerita Jr. High Band members, and director Andy Downs
Scouts of Troop 603, Bill Hart District, and their Sponsor, Leona Cox P.T.A.
Raymond J. Guardado
Scoutmaster: Wolfgang Stohs
Assistant Scoutmaster: John Mann Jr.
Public Address System:
Courtesy of Michael Shuman and Placerita Jr. High, and handled by Cynthia Neal-Harris, First Vice President, SCVHS
Terry D. Fortin, Plant Manager of PPG Industries (formerly Fortin Plastics) for Plexiglas covering for the plaque
L.A. County Sheriff Explorers, Directing parking and crowd assistance
Denzil Cameron of Cameron movie ranch and William Graham of Triple A Ranch for Horses and stagecoach
And the many members of SCVHS and friends who helped plan and organize this event