Filming in Towsley Canyon, 1927
Film shoot in Towsley Canyon, 1927. From the archives of the Automobile
Club of Southern California.
Towsley Canyon, located just west of Interstate 5 near Newhall and south of oil-rich
Pico Canyon, was explored for oil as early as the 1860s and continued to produce though
perhaps not as prolifically as Pico Canyon well into the 20th Century. In 1995 Chevron
USA sold the former Standard Oil Co. holdings to the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. Towsley
Canyon is now a state park.