Real photo postcard of Beale's Cut, circa 1950's.
Rear of postcard states "FREMONT CUT. Historical landmark cut by hand by General Fremont's men. The first cut linking San Fernando Valley and Antelope Valley." In reality,the construction of this cut was supervised by Edward F. Beale in 1864, and linked the San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys.
Photograph courtesy of Charles Russell. Online photo only.