Newhall homecoming celebration, July 4, 1936.
Folks came from miles around to participate in Newhall's annual Independence Day Parade. Part of the tradition in the 1930s involved gathering everyone together on the grounds around Newhall Elementary School on Walnut Street for a group photograph.
Barely visible in the background of this photo, made by Thompson of Santa Monica, to the left of the title inscription, is Newhall School as it appeared from 1928 (when it was built) to 1939 (when it burned down).
This image was contributed to SCVHistory.com by George Starbuck, whose grandfather Frank Walker's Liberty Six automobile is roughly center-right in front of the "Newhall Jail" float.
The Liberty Motor Car Co. was an automaker in Detroit from 1916 to 1924. It manufactured only one model, the Liberty Six, a jeep-like vehicle propelled by a monobloc 3394 cc 6-cylinder engine. Liberty was acquired by Columbia Motors in late 1923 just in time for Columbia to go out of business.