Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

Downtown Saugus
Saugus, California


[CLOSEUP OF DOWNTOWN]

Saugus was named for the Massachusetts birthplace of local land owner Henry Mayo Newhall. Known for a time in the early 1900s as "Surrey," the town took shape in 1887, just one year prior to H.M. Newhall's death, when the Saugus Train Station was erected.

This is the downtown business district as it appeared in the mid-1950s, looking north. Clearly visible are the Saugus Train Station at center, the water tank and the businesses lining the west side of San Fernando (Bouquet Canyon) Road, including the Saugus Café (directly above the train station in the photo).

Image enhanced by Audrey Erickson.

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply