Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

Society Reviews Harry Carey Plans
San Francisquito Canyon

Aug. 15, 2001: (Above left) Members of the SCV Historical Society board of directors (seated) meet in the Harry Carey Ranch House with Tesoro del Valle developers John Evans (left) of Evans-Collins Community Builders and Bill Rattazzi (second from right) of SunCal Companies to discuss the site plan for the Harry Carey Historic District. The plan calls for the addition of a landscaping buffer, and for three structures that are currently west and north of the main adobe ranch house — a small smokehouse, the adobe stables and the wooden stables — to be relocated into the one-acre district. The relocation is to be overseen by Melvyn Green (photo, right), a structural engineer who has been retained by the developers as a historical consultant for the project.

The Society will be undertaking a number of activities as the property is restored, such as an inventory of the artifacts left behind by the Clougherty family (owners of the Farmer John line of meat products, who purchased the property c. 1953 and used it as a summer retreat). Once restoration is complete and the first Tesoro homes are sold in 2002, the Society will maintain the historic site as a museum.

Photos by Leon Worden.


LW081501: 300 dpi jpegs from digital images
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply