Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

St. Francis Dam: Orchard Barn
St. Francis Dam Disaster

Photo No. 27 from The Newhall Land and Farming Co.'s March 24, 1928 report on the March 12-13 St. Francis Dam Disaster.

"The Orchard barn was only moved a few feet but the side walls are so wrecked that the entire building will have to be taken down and rebuilt although the roof is in perfect condition. No. 27 shows its present condition, and you will note the side walls lean badly. Three horses were in the barn at the time, two of whom [sic] broke their halter chains and escaped, the third horse breaking its neck when trying to free itself."

Original caption by Almer M. Newhall reads as follows:

No. 27 Remains of Orchard Barn

From Plate IX.

[Return to Text][Return to Photo Index]

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply