Photo from inside a cab forward, pulling into the Saugus Train Station,
looking south down San Fernando Road, with two other cab-forwards coming north. The station
was located on the east side of San Fernando Road, just south of Drayton Street.
The Saugus Station, built in 1887, was saved from demolition in 1980, when it became the
first structure to be moved to Heritage Junction Historic Park, operated by the Santa
Clarita Valley Historical Society at William S. Hart Park in Newhall two miles
south of the train station's original location.
Photo by Ward Kimball.
This photo was initially identified as having been shot in April 1952. However,
according to an anonymous viewer, it first appeared in the October 1948 edition of
Trains magazine. Reader Jan Podganski Jr. of Hawthorne, Calif., adds that the
photo "was taken in or after 1946. Southern Pacific started painting the lower cab fronts silver starting in 1946."