Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

Big House: Quake Damage
Pico Canyon

[RETURN TO PAT'S SCRAPBOOK]

The "Big House," a 13-room Victorian mansion built in 1898 for Charles Alexander Mentry, was heavily damaged in the earthquake of Jan. 17, 1994. The house, which had been occupied since 1966 by Carol and Frenchy Lagasse, had no foundation, and it was rendered uninhabitable when it slid off of its struts. As seen here, the porch roof collapsed, too.

The Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy acquired the Mentryville property from Chevron USA the following year, and has used voter-approved bond act funds to restore the house.


PW9401: 600 dpi jpeg from original print
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply