Walton Young Retires
The Newhall Signal and Saugus Enterprise
A.B. Thatcher, Editor
Thursday, May 19, 1927
une first will mark the date of retirement of Walton Young from the service of the Standard Oil Company, after thirty-eight years of service in the same locality, Pico Canyon, though the first eleven years were in the service of the Pacific Coast Oil Company, the original owner of the Pico oil field.
It was in 1889 that Mr. Young came to Newhall and entered the oil business as blacksmith's helper in the machine shop with which the field was equipped. Leter he had charge of the boiler work then became forman. When [the] property was taken over by the Standard Oil Company in 1900, Mr. Young became division superintendent, which position he has held ever since, having entire charge of the Pico and Elsmere Canyon production, manufacture and transportation of the company in this section.
Mr. and Mrs. Young have had a home in Santa Monica for some years, and on June 1st will become residents there. The Youngs, who were married here in 1891, have been identified with all the social activities of the section, and will be sadly missed when they leave. On June 18, they will start on a six weeks trip to Honolulu, and on their return will be located at 1301 Fourth Street, Santa Monica.
Mt. Young's successor will be J.W. Barrett, known to Newhall folks as Joe Barrett. [He] grew up in the oil game on the Newhall field, and was in charge of the first wells at Huntington Beach. For some time he has had charge of the Standard's properties at Montevala and Camarillo, with headquarters at Oxnard. His many friends here will be glad to see him return.
©1927, THE SIGNAL · USED BY PERMISSION · ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.