Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> RIDGE ROUTE
National Forest Inn: Business Card
Ridge Route

Ridge Route: National Forest Inn, Business Card, circa 1920s.

Ridge Route historian Harrison Scott writes in Californian Historian, Vol. 43 No. 4 (Summer 1997), a publication of the Conference of California Historical Societies:

Unlike Sandberg's, which was constructed of logs, the National Forest Inn sported neatly trimmed white clapboard buildings. It was built by a gentleman named Courtemanche. A news clipping of 1925 indicates a Joe Palmer as proprietor of the National Forest Inn garage. The 1926 touring guide indicated that there were nine rooms in cottages, most with running water, from $1 to $2, lunch 75 cents; garage; camp 50 cents. A 1926 topography map spots a ranger station at this location. All of the accommodations were on the west side of the road. However, there was a large metal building on the east side which housed the highway repair facility and the ranger station.

Above this structure on a hill is a small cement-lined reservoir believed to have been built for fire control. Also, west of the of the reservoir are the foundation remains of an old airplane beacon. The beacon site is also shown on a 1928 topography map of the area.

The National Forest Inn was destroyed by a fire which originated in the garage on October 20, 1932. Mr. Martin owned the resort at the time, and was reported to have lost considerable cash in the blaze.


AL1930: 9600 dpi jpeg from 300 dpi jpg of original business card
NATIONAL FOREST INN
Ridge Route

Courtemanche Index
thumbnail
ca. 1916

thumbnail
Travelers 1920 x2

thumbnail
RPPC ~1920

thumbnail
Business Card ~1920s

thumbnail
Dance Hall 1928

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply