Not to be confused with the Saugus depot, Southern Pacific Railroad's Newhall depot was initially erected in the summer of 1876 near the modern-day intersection of Newhall Avenue/Bouquet Canyon Road and Magic Mountain Parkway, along SPRR's San Joaquin Valley line, which linked Los Angeles with San Francisco by rail for the first time.
1877 was a drought year, and well levels dropped. In January 1878, the depot and the rest of the little town of Newhall were moved two miles south to be closer to natrural water sources. The depot was rebuilt at what would become the northeast corner of Railroad Avenue and Market Street, still along the same rail line. A similar-looking warehouse was built at the southeast corner of the same intersection. Both structures eventually burned down, although not at the same time
(the warehouse before 1930, the depot in 1963).
By sheer coincidence, in 2000, the Jan Heidt Newhall Metrolink Station opened on the exact spot where the SPRR Newhall depot had stood.
AP0422: 9600 dpi jpeg from copy print. Same as AP0602.