Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

Livery Stable
Newhall, California


Click image to enlarge

Ed Pardee built this livery stable, where one could presumably board and/or rent horses, in 1887 at the northeast corner of Spruce Street (later called San Fernando Road and still later, Main Street) and what would become Market Street.

Considering the angle of the photograph, which probably dates from the 1890s, the building at right in the background would be the potato warehouse at the southeast corner of Railroad Avenue and Market Street — the twin of the Newhall train station at the northeast corner.

Note in the closeup that the stable hand appears to be African American.

Also note what appears to be a weather vane in the shape of a horse atop the building. Next to it is a sign with letters that appear to be L and E, suggesting the sign reads, "STABLE."


AP0604: 9600 dpi jpeg from copy print
PARDEE LIVERY

thumbnail

Newhall Livery

thumbnail

Livery (Detail)

thumbnail

Ed & Prize Horse ~1890s

thumbnail

Livery & Second Southern Hotel

thumbnail

Livery & 2nd Southern Hotel 1910

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply