By 1916, when this photograph was taken, rising property values along Newhall's old Main Street (Railroad Avenue) had pushed many
merchants onto the next block — Spruce Street (later known as San Fernando Road).
Seen at left is "Hotel Swall," built by Albert Swall in 1914 on the approximate
site of the old Southern Hotel. The far end of Swall's hotel housed the Newhall
Pharmacy, which outlasted the hotel itself and was rebuilt after the 1971 Sylmar earthquake destroyed
the original 1914 brick building. In front of Albert Swall's hotel in this photograph is Tom Frew's blacksmith
shop. Jesse Doty's Ford Garage, also built in 1914, is seen on the right side of the street. Spruce Street was paved in 1926. Note the 15 mile per hour speed limit.