Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> NEWHALL FOURTH OF JULY
Fourth of July Parade ~1961
Newhall, California


Click image to enlarge

Newhall Flower and Gift Shop's Fourth of July Parade entry in front of the Newhall Realty office and Peterson's shoe store, at what is now (2014) Jazmin's Bakery, 24330 Main Street (formerly San Fernando Road and before that, Spruce Street).

Out of frame to the right is Newhall Hardware, and beyond that, the Safeway grocery store.

Image courtesy of Robert N. "Butch" Hampton, a Newhall native (b. Feb. 27, 1946) and Hart High alumnus (Class of 1963) who went to Pierce Collge and in 1968 established a career as a construction project manager. His mother, Margaret "Maggie" Hampton, owned the Snack Shack, a popular diner in the 1950s and 1960s at 24325 San Fernando Road (formerly known as 727 Spruce Street).

The photo is undated; our best guess is 1961. All flags in this grouping have 48 stars, suggesting 1959 or earlier; however, Hampton says the sheriff's cruiser that's following the Newhall Flower Shop entry is a 1961 Chevy, which wasn't available prior to September 1960. Apparently Newhallians simply hadn't yet purchased new flags.

Photo shot from the roof of the Snack Shack.


BH5901: 19200 dpi jpeg from slightly smaller jpeg.
NEWHALL FOURTH OF JULY PARADE 1961

thumbnail
Newhall Flower Shop

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply