Saturday, March 11, 2017 — SCV Historical Society President Alan Pollack, Community Hiking Club President Dianne Erskine-Hellrigel, and Frank "The Dam Man" Rock lead guests on the Historical Society's
annual tour of the St. Francis Dam Disaster site in San Francisquito Canyon.
Seven miles up San Francisquito Canyon Road from today's Copper Hill Drive, construction on the 700-foot-long, 205-foot-high St. Francis Dam started in August 1924. With a 12.5 billion-gallon capacity, the reservoir began to fill with water on March 1, 1926. It was completed two months later.
At 11:57:30 p.m. on March 12, 1928, the dam failed, sending a 180-foot-high wall of water crashing down San Francisquito Canyon. An estimated 431 people lay dead by the time the floodwaters reached the Pacific Ocean south of Ventura 5½ hours later.
It was the second-worst disaster in California history, after the great San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906, in terms of lives lost — and America's worst civil engineering failure of the 20th Century.
Photos by Leon Worden.