Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> DOWNTOWN NEWHALL
5-10-25 Cent Store
Newhall, California


Click image to enlarge

January 14, 1940 — Newhall 5-10-25 Cent Store, 644 Spruce Street — the southeast corner of Market Street and Spruce. Looking east-northeast. Market Street was equivalent to 7th Street; the 700+ numbers were in the block to the north of the intersection.

In the 1950s, the county of Los Angeles renamed Spruce Street "San Fernando Road" and changed the street addresses from three digits to five. 644 Spruce Street became 24274 San Fernando Road. In 2007, when this section of the road was again renamed — this time by the city of Santa Clarita — it became 24274 Main Street. It was home to El Trocadero Mesquite Grill and Cantina.

To the right of the five-and-dime, the sign says "[illegible] FREE LIBRARY."

At left, the business at the northeast corner of Market and Spruce is a car wash. Behind it, the 1931-1932 county courthouse is visible.

The 3¼x5-inch glossy photograph, from a flea market, is unattributed; the only writing on the back is the date.


DI4001: 19200 dpi jpeg from original print.
SHARON DIVIS COLLECTION

See Also:
• St. Francis Dam
• Saugus Rodeo 1927
thumbnail
Elizabeth Lake Outing 1910s-20s x5

thumbnail
Soledad Canyon 1930

thumbnail
Hotel Lebec ~1930s

thumbnail
Bouquet Reservoir Opening 3-28-1934

thumbnail
Ridge Route 1937

thumbnail
Bouquet Reservoir ~1937

thumbnail
Bouquet Reservoir 1940

thumbnail
Newhall 5-10-25 Cent Store 1940

thumbnail
Sharon Tolbert, Candy Striper 1971

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply