Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> FIRE FIGHTING   > NEWHALL
Fire Station 73
Newhall, California


Click image to enlarge

Fire Station 73, Los Angeles County Fire Department. Photo 2008 by Bill Hartenstein.

The station was built in the 1950s in Newhall at what is now 24875 Railroad Ave.


From Fire Capt. Paul Peppard, Fire Station 73-B, Battalion 6, Los Angeles County Fire Department (2014):

The Los Angeles County Fire Department was born from the State's Forest Protection Act of 1905 out of a need to protect our watershed (read: drinking water). The County Board of Supervisors appointed the County Fish and Game Warden to the additional position of Fire Warden. This soon evolved into the Los Angeles County Department of Forester and Fire Warden, a title our fire chief still holds today.

Our initial focus was the wildland areas of the county, with rapid growth occurring in that realm in the early 1920s. At the same time, unincorporated townships were sprouting up throughout the county, so it fell on the Forester and Fire Warden to provide fire protection to these communities, which was accomplished by establishing "fire protection districts" to levy taxes to fund fire protection. So the county fire department became two different "departments" under one roof: the Forestry Department and the Fire Protection Districts — Forestry for the wildland and districts for the towns. (Newhall Fire Protection District actually formed in 1953, so we technically had two different "departments" operating out of one station: E73 for the wildland and E273 for the township.)

It wasn't until 1954 that the two "departments" merged and became the Los Angeles County Fire Department.


FD0801: 19200 dpi jpeg from jpeg courtesy of Fire Capt. Paul Peppard, Station 73, Los Angeles County Fire Department, 2014.
EARLY L.A. COUNTY FIRE DEPARTMENT, SCV

Agency Description 1940
thumbnail
LACoFD-USFS 1923

thumbnail
1928 Fire (Forestry) Station, Newhall

thumbnail
1928 Fire (Forestry) Station, Newhall

thumbnail
Pumper & 1928 Soledad Div. HQ, Newhall

thumbnail
Asst. Chief's 1929 Buick, Newhall

thumbnail
1933 Pumper, Newhall

thumbnail
Asst. Warden's 1937 Chevy Carryall, Newhall

thumbnail
Station 73 Dedication 7/1958

thumbnail
Station 73 Newhall 1970s

thumbnail
Station 73 Newhall 2008

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply