Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> NEWHALL FOURTH OF JULY
Newhall Woman's Club
Newhall Fourth of July Parade 1964


Click image to enlarge

NEWHALL WOMAN'S CLUB

thumbnail
View 1

thumbnail
View 2

July 4, 1964 — Newhall Woman's Club float in the 1964 Newhall Fourth of July Parade, photographed in front of Harry's Reliable Shoe Repair (Harry Osler) at 24363 San Fernando Road (west side of Main Street between 8th and 9th).

"It's a Grand Old Flag, 1777-1962" shows the evolution of the American flag from the 13-star version adopted in 1777 to the 50-star version. We don't know why they say "1962," but it's likely that 1962 was the first time the 50-star flag was available in Newhall. We know Newhall residents were still flying 48-star flags in the 1961 parade, as seen here, even though the 50-star flag was formally adopted after the admission of Hawaii in August 1959 and flew for the first time over Fort McHenry in Baltimore on July 4, 1960.

The photograph is from the collection of Dean and Gwen Booth Gallion; Gwen's mother, Mary Booth, is portraying Betsy Ross here. Also present are Joan Russell, the club president; and Creola Ray, Jean Tutini and Vera Steere.


GA6401a: 9600 dpi jpeg from original 3x3-inch print, Kodak paper.
NEWHALL FOURTH OF JULY PARADE 1964

thumbnail
Newhall Woman's Club x2

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply