Eugene (Gene) and Maxine Doty and three of their four children (son John isn't yet born) in front of their home on 16th Street in Newhall, circa 1953.
At right in the little cowgirl outfit is the photo contributor, Genene Doty Staats (b. April 27, 1949).
A lifelong Santa Clarita Valley resident, Eugene Mackey Doty (Oct. 23, 1920 - Jan. 1, 2014) is the son of Jess Doty, the SCV's first automobile dealer.
He grew up in the family home on Spruce Street next to the Ford dealership, which Jess sold in 1940. Gene was stationed in Italy during World War II and returned
to start a family with Maxine Marie Doty (Dec. 8, 1919 - Sept. 30, 2004).
Eugene "Gene" Doty was born Oct. 23, 1920, to Jesse and Margie Doty, who brought their newborn home to the Doty house on San Fernando Road (now Main St.), next-door to the Doty Garage that Jesse, who arrived in Newhall in 1914, opened after World War I. It later became Doty Ford, the first automobile dealership in the Santa Clarita Valley.
Gene lived in Newhall his whole life, attending Newhall Elementary School and graduating in 1938 from San Fernando High School, where he was Student Body President, "Yell King," Letterman, and the first Eagle Scout in the whole Santa Clarita Valley. While at SFHS, he met his future wife, cheerleader Maxine Morris.
At 18, Gene owned and operated the Shell gas station in downtown Newhall. He and Maxine married in 1940 and made their home in Newhall. In the early 1940s, he worked for a short time at Douglas Aircraft until he was recruited by Lockheed Aircraft. Except for the years he spent in the Army during World War II, he worked at Lockheed, where he spent many years as a part of the classified Skunk Works operations. He retired in 1984.
During those early years, Gene and friend Jim Talman founded the Newhall Tennis Club. Gene was an avid tennis player for decades and was involved in and devoted to tennis functions throughout the community. At the time of his death on Jan. 1, 2014, he still owned the Newhall Tennis Club Pro Shop.
Gene was a member of Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church for 93 years. He first served as an altar boy, and later, for many years, as an usher. Many decades ago, he and Julio Lombardi initiated the first OLPH Barbecue. Year after year, they spearheaded the popular event which continues annually as the parish's major fundraiser.