Grace Lyon Nemback visits the site of the St. Francis Dam in San Francisquito Canyon soon after the dam collapsed just before midnight on March 12, 1928. BW print, 3x4 inches. Handwritten inscription
on back of photograph (see below) reads:
Grace Lyon Nemback
San Francisquito Canyon when Dam broke.
We don't know who "E. Maas" is.
According to contributors Holly Nemback of Idaho (formerly of Valencia) and her husband Steve Nemback, Grace was probably a cousin to Steve's grandmother,
Dora Nemback, who lived in San Fernando (pers. comm. 2018).
Additional tourists or perhaps inspectors can be seen in the background below the "tombstone," the center section of the dam, which
remained standing until it was dynamited in 1929.
HB2802: 9600 dpi jpeg and archival tiff from original print courtesy of Holly Nemback. Online only.