Saugus Cafe, 1957 or 1958. The new 1952 building is seen at left (after 1963, the only building). The 1925 cafe building is at right.
This photograph first appears in the 1958 Hart High School "Tomahawk" yearbook as seen here.
About the photographer:
HAROLD G. DEINES (1922-1970) brought his family to the Santa Clarita 1954 and taught photography and drivers' education at Hart High School.
He also was the proprietor of Pin N' Pen Photo Stationers in Newhall.
Harold and wife
Esther were married in 1944 in Kansas,
where Harold was the sports and society photographer for the Wichita Eagle newspaper. They lived briefly in Tucson, Ariz., prior to their arrival in Newhall (Chestnut Street), where they
raised four children — Glenn, Anita (Barnes), Sylvia (Wortman) and Myrna (Litt). Not yet 50, Harold succumbed to a long illness; Esther (1921-2009) continued her teaching and adminstrative career with the Newhall School District,
sang in the church choir (Santa Clarita United Methodist) and was active in the SCV Senior Center and Friends of the Library.
About the Saugus Cafe building(s).
The Saugus Café started life as Tolfree's Eating House inside the SPRR Saugus Depot, which was located at what is now the southeast corner of Railroad Avenue and Drayton Street.
Structures on the 2.17-acre property as of 2014. Click image to enlarge.
In 1905, then-owner Martin Wood moved the café across the street, erecting a brick structure at what is now 25865 Railroad Ave. In 1925, the brick building was replaced with a larger structure finished in plaster or stucco.
In 1952, new owner Bill Rolls erected a new, 3,427-square-foot building, perpendicular to and set slightly back from the earlier structure. This is the current Saugus Café building at 25861 Railroad Ave.
Both buildings stood together for a time. Apparently the 1925 structure was utilized as a cocktail lounge until it was torn down. In 1963 the 3,500-square-foot Saugus Superette was erected in its place (again, 25865 Railroad Ave.), although this time, it was set back in an even line with the café.
A 1,050-square-foot home built in 1912 also stands on the 2.17-acre property, behind the two larger buildings.
The current (2014) propery owner is investor Hank Arklin, who purchased it July 10, 1996.
Further reading: Tales of the Saugus Cafe.