Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> PIRU
Mountain View Hotel
Piru, California

The white, Victorian-style Mountain View Hotel in Piru was built in the early 1870s during the time of town founder David Caleb Cook. Unlike its contemporary — the Acton Hotel (both in date and style) — this hotel is still standing as of the early 21st Century.


Ventura Free Press, 1899. Click to enlarge.

In the mid-1890s, Mrs. Alice Gay took over the management of the hotel. Business was booming to the point that she expanded it in April 1899 to 12 sleeping rooms. As reported in the Ventura Free Press of July 28, 1899:

The Piru Hotel has been conducted by Mrs. Alice Gay for about five years in a very acceptable matter. Last April, in order to find accommodations for the steadily increasing business, the hotel was enlarged. Twelve sleeping rooms, bath room and store room were added, besides large dining and lunch rooms. The hotel has been freshly painted and put in order throughout. There are two wide porches, one down stairs and one above. Under Mrs. Gay's efficient management the hotel has become very popular. Guests feel at home and appreciate the politeness and attention shown. The Camulos ranch, famous as the home of Ramona, is only two miles distant and Piru City is the nearest point where hotel accommodations can be secured. Parties who wish to visit the home of Ramona should therefore stop at the Piru Hotel. Rates are very reasonable.

Postcard by Western Card Co., ~1910.


LW2063: Online image only.
MOUNTAIN VIEW HOTEL, PIRU

thumbnail
c. 1910

thumbnail
Cast of Ramona, April 1910

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply