Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

"Outhouse" Salt & Pepper Shakers
Solemint Store | Canyon Country


Click image to enlarge

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

thumbnail

Ma and Pa's matching "outhouse" salt and pepper shakers (1 inch square, 2 inches at tallest point) from the Solemint Store, established in 1938 at Solemint Junction (the intersection of Sierra Highway and Soledad Canyon Road).

Al Clark's Solemint Store carried all of the sundry and household items you'd expect an old country store to carry, as well as a host of nicknacks for tourists who stopped to gas up at the Standard station next door or grab a bite at Olive MacDougall's adjoining restaurant. The store was big on branded mementoes — from seminude pin-up calendars to funny little trinkets like this pair of wooden salt and pepper shakers in the shape of outhouses.

Further reading:

Solemint Junction: A Happening Place to Be

Alfred L. Clark's Solemint Store


LW2268a: 9600 dpi jpeg from digital image of objects purchased 2012 by Leon Worden, donated to SCV Historical Society.
SOLEMINT STORE

Also: Solemint


thumbnail

Store Founder

thumbnail

9-22-1940

thumbnail

1945 Story

thumbnail

RPPC 1946

thumbnail

1940s

thumbnail

RPPC ~1940s

thumbnail

RPPC ~1950

thumbnail

1950s Postcard

thumbnail

1966 Calendar

thumbnail

Salt & Pepper Shakers

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply