Original lobby card (standard 11x14 inches, colorized, impaired) for "Satan Town" (1926) starring Harey Carey Sr. (seen at left), directed by Edmund Mortimer (1874–1944),
produced by Charles R. Rogers Productions and distributed by Pathé.
Charles R. Rogers is the guy who, a decade later, took over Carl Laemmle Jr.'s position at Universal after the Laemmles, father and son, were pushed out for major cost overruns
on "Show Boat" (1936). Rogers was VP in charge of production at Universal from 1936 to 1938.
We don't know what "Satan Town" was about or where it was filmed. We don't actually know whether it exists. It used to be, roughly 82 percent of all films from the silent period were lost; in recent
years as more films have been discovered in attics and overseas archives, the figure has fallen, maybe as low as 70 percent, but as of 2014, we're unaware of an existing print of "Satan Town."
We do know it was a 6-reeler, so roughly 60 minutes, and that Carey was living on a ranch in Saugus at the time
(where the Tesoro del Valle development would later be built).
"Satan Town" was released domestically on Aug. 15, 1926. It was written by Jack Boyle (story) and Marion Jackson; it was filmed by the Italian-born
cinematographer Sol Polito (who made a name for himself at Warner Bros. in the 1930s and 1940s); and it costars
Kathleen Collins, Charles Clary, Trilby Clark,
Charles Delaney and
Ben Hendricks Sr.
About Harry Carey Sr.
Actor Harry Carey (Sr.) acquired a homestead at the mouth of San Francisquito Canyon in 1916 and established a rancho. The ranch included the Carey's wooden ranch home
as well as several outbuildings and the Harry Carey Trading Post, which was a tourist attraction that included billed entertainment from Navajo Indians and other performers,
along with a store that sold Western and Indian curios. The ranch was occasionally used for filming. The Careys'
son, Harry Carey Jr. (Dobe), who would follow in his father's acting footsteps, was born in the Carey ranch home in 1921.
The trading post washed away in the St. Francis Dam disaster of March 1928 and was not rebuilt. The Indians left about a month earlier. According to Dobe,
a shaman saw "a big crack and predicted it would break." The ranch house was situated at a higher
elevation and survived the flood, only to burn down in 1932. The Careys replaced it by building a Spanish adobe home, which they sold with the
rancho in 1945.
Harry Carey was born Henry DeWitt Carey II on January 16, 1878 on 116th Street in the Bronx section
of New York City. His father was a special-sessions judge and president of a sewing machine company.
Harry attended a military academy but declined an appointment to West Point, instead trying his hand as a playwright.
According to the Internet Movie Database: In 1911, his friend Henry B. Walthall
introduced him to director D.W. Griffith, for whom Carey
was to make many films. Carey married twice [correx: 3 times; see here], the [third]
time to actress Olive Fuller Golden (aka Olive Carey),
who introduced him to future director John Ford. Carey influenced Universal Studios head Carl Laemmle
to use Ford as a director, and a partnership was born that lasted until a rift in the friendship in 1921.
During this time, Carey grew into one of the most popular Western stars of the early motion picture,
occasionally writing and directing films as well. In the 1930s he moved slowly into character roles
and was nominated for an Oscar for one of them, the president of the Senate in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"
(1939). He worked once more with Ford, in "The Prisoner of Shark Island" (1936), and appeared
once with his son, Harry Carey Jr., in Howard Hawks' "Red River" (1948).
He died Sept. 21, 1947,
in Brentwood, after a protracted bout with emphysema and cancer. Ford dedicated his remake "3 Godfathers"
(1948) "To Harry Carey — Bright Star Of The Early Western Sky."
Carey would appear in at least 233 films, including short features, between 1909 and 1949.
Further reading: Harry Carey Ranch: Historic American Buildings Survey No. CA-2712.