Planned demolition: 24326 Walnut Street (encircled in red in the aerial view).
According to county assessor records, the address, 24326, is associated only with the small, 504-square-foot, 1-plus-1 structure at the back of the property (outlined in blue). Built in 1928, it showed signs of use by squatters and was cleared away in mid-March 2017, shortly before we photographed the property. However, it still appeared in Google Maps (second and third images herein). Facing the alley between Walnut and Main Street, it was a tin garage at the time it was removed. (Garage conversions are common, but when is the last time you heard of living space being converted into a garage?) Visible in our photographs is the cement pad underneath the small house-tin garage.
The 24326 Walnut Street property sold in May 2016 for $300,000.
In a typically strange Newhall property configuration, the larger, Crafatsman-style front house — the house that appears in the majority of these photographs — is not listed as taxable property in assessor records. Instead, it seems to be associated with the commercial property next door at 24324 Walnut Street (as outlined in yellow).
According to the city of Santa Clarita's 2009 historic resources survey, "Ann Baily lived here in the 1940s."
The correct name is Anna Bailey, and she lived there with her husband as early as 1938 through at least 1960. According to researcher Tricia Lemon Putnam, two other families/occupants lived there in 1930 and 1934.
It is unknown whether they lived in the 1928 back house or the front house.
The 984-square-foot commercial building at 24324 Walnut is classified as hotel-motel and was built in 1976. The age of the front house is unknown, but it is considerably older than the commercial building.
The 24324 Walnut Street property sold in March 2016 for $575,000 to the same buyer. The purchase included the narrow, vacant space next to (south of) the commercial building.
According to his Realtor, the buyer intends to demolish the front house and develop the properties into an office park. Prior to demolition, the owner's representative worked with the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society to explore relocation and/or salvage opportunities.
Shown for reference only, not part of the sale, are the four 1916/1930 bungalows known as Walnut Court at 24328 Walnut Street (outlined in green). Dr. Alan Fine's office building is at far upper right (south).
Exteriors were photographed in late March 2017, interiors (and some exteriors) in early April 2017.
LW2980: Download original digital images here