Valencia Industrial Association's first "Focus on the Future: Industry, Business, Education and Government Symposium," October 26, 1983. The keynote speaker was USC Prof. Arthur Laffer,
economic adviser to then-President Ronald Reagan.
The Valencia Industrial Association was organized in 1981 to represent the interests of businesses in the Valencia Industrial Center and later Valencia Commerce Center. It was
subsequently renamed Valley Industry Association to reflect its growth as an organization representing industrial, commercial and service companies across the Santa Clarita Valley.
From upper left:
• Unknown; possibly Leonard Long, president of Long Molded Products in Valencia.
• Connie Worden (later Worden-Roberts), VIA executive director and field deputy to Assemblywoman Marion W. La Follette.
• Dr. H. Clyde Smyth, superintendent, William S. Hart Union High School District.
• Assemblywoman Marion W. La Follette: Member of the state Assembly from 1980-1990. Represented the Santa Clarita Valley after the 1981 reapportionment.
• Duffy Watson, president, Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital.
• Dick Miller, president, Six Flags Magic Mountain.
• Unknown; possibly Mary Ann Paulsen, Dean of Instruction, College of the Canyons.
• Samuel X. Garcia, president, Hydraulic Research-Textron (later called Woodward HRT).
LW3033: 9600 dpi jpeg from original photograph, collection of Connie Worden-Roberts.