2-cent franked letter with Piru postmark, April 28, 1924.
6x3½ inches, cut open at right edge. Back is blank.
Sent by Mrs. R.E. Powell of Fillmore to Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Wakelin of Roberts, Ill.
Google Street View 2018.
The Piru Post Office traces its roots to 1888. On April 23 of that year, the "Piru Rancho" post office was commissioned, but it never operated under that name. Two months later, on June 14, "Piru Rancho" gave way to "Piru City." During its first full year (1889), its operator was paid $243.08 for his services. The salary increased annually, reaching $698.78 in 1901.
The Piru City post office was discontinued June 5, 1903, when its commission was transferred to a new "Piru" post office. From first-year pay of $571.77, the salary fluctuated until 1911, when it hit $670, and then climbed to $1,500 in 1931 and $1,600 in 1943.
As of 2018, the post office is located at 658 Main Street.
Sources: Frickstad 1955,
LW3168: 9600 dpi jpeg from original envelope purchased 2017 by Leon Worden.