Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
5-Stamp Mill, Puritan Mine
Acton, California

Visible from the 14 Freeway in Acton, this 5-stamp mill was used to crush gold-bearing quartz that was extracted from the Puritan Mine more than a century ago.

All closed up now, the Puritan was one of several gold mines owned by an investment consortium that included California Governor Henry Tifft Gage (1899-1903).

The mill was fabricated by Joshua Hendry Machine Works, aka Joshua Hendry Iron Works, of San Francisco. It is said to be one of only two extant upright mills in Los Angeles County today. It is located on private property, APN 3216-018-004.

Chunks of fused brick in the area (see photos) suggest the onetime presence of an on-site smelter.

Click map to enlarge.

LW3191: Download original images here. Digital images made February 25, 2018, by Leon Worden.

Related Categories:
Gov. Henry Gage
Governor Mine
Red Rover Mine
Puritan Mine


5-Stamp Mill x40

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ] is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV
The site owner makes no assertions as to ownership of any original copyrights to digitized images. However, these images are intended for Personal or Research use only. Any other kind of use, including but not limited to commercial or scholarly publication in any medium or format, public exhibition, or use online or in a web site, may be subject to additional restrictions including but not limited to the copyrights held by parties other than the site owner. USERS ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for determining the existence of such rights and for obtaining any permissions and/or paying associated fees necessary for the proposed use.
comments powered by Disqus