5-Gal Service Station Fuel/Oil Can
Standard Oil (Calif.) Products
5-gallon service station fuel/oil can, 1920s—?, inscribed (molded) "Property of Standard Oil Co. of California / 5 Gallons Liquid." Twist-off lid with instructions for opening and closing. Metal (tin?), 23.5" h. with handle extended, 10.5" dia., 12.1 lbs.
Manufactured by Ellisco, a mark of George D. Ellis & Sons Inc., which was founded in 1843 and incorporated in 1887 in Philadelphia. The company initially manufactured mechanics' tools, trusses and elastic metals. The "Ellisco" mark was first used in 1920 and registered in 1922. In the late 1910s and 1920s, persons affiliated with Ellis(co) filed patents on metal can fastening systems and twist-off lids.
Standard Oil Company of California (SOCAL) traces its origins to Pico Canyon in the 1870s. Read the story here.
LW3788: Download original images here. Item purchased 2021 by Leon Worden; transfered 5/2021 to SCV Historical Society.