"Introducing Metrolink" television commercial, circa 1992.
Metrolink is governed by the Southern California Regional Rail Authority (SCRRA), a joint powers authority that was formed in 1991 and comprises five county agencies that were tasked with reducing highway congestion and improving mobility throughout Southern California: Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro), Orange County Transportation Authority, Riverside County Transportation Commission, San Bernardino Associated Governments and Ventura County Transportation Commission. SCRRA created Metrolink in October 1992 to fill a void in Southern California's transportation infrastructure. Our organization has served as the link between six Southern California counties by providing commuters seamless transportation connectivity options.
Metrolink has grown tremendously during our 20 years in service, expanding from three service lines, 11 stations and a little more than 2,300 daily passengers to seven service lines, 55 stations and 44,000 daily passengers, all over a 512 route-mile network.
Amtrak, one of our major contractors, supplies the train and engine crews who operate our trains. Amtrak was a Metrolink contractor since our 1992 inception until 2005 when we awarded a contract to Connex.
Since 2008, Metrolink implemented several safety enhancements in its mission to become the safest commuter railroad in the nation. They include:
• Enhanced safety testing program that assesses the performance of contractor train crews;
• Purchased 137 Guardian Fleet cars equipped with crash energy management technology;
• Installed Automatic Train Stop technology at 49 locations to improve engineer situational awareness;
• Became the first railroad company in the nation to install inward-facing video cameras in its locomotives;
• Working to implement Positive Train Control technology throughout our system ahead of the federal mandate;
• Partnered with the USC Viterbi School of Engineering to design and institute an advanced Rail System Safety Certification Program, an industry first that will pioneer efforts to standardize system safety leadership principles;
• Awarded operating contract to Amtrak because of its commitment to passenger safety and complementary programs that enhance Metrolink's safety efforts.
— Metrolink 2012