Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> CITY OF SANTA CLARITA

Structures Considered For Proposed Santa Clarita Historic Preservation Ordinance


In August, 2011, staff members of the City of Santa Clarita prepared information on the following list of structures to be considered by the Santa Clarita City Council for inclusion in a proposed Historic Preservation Ordinance.

Properties Recommended for Designation

22502-22510 5" Street -Newhall Ice:

The Newhall Ice Company, located at 22502-22510 5th Street, is significant for its association with commercial development in Santa Clarita. It was built in 1922 by Fred Lamkin as a warehouse and storage yard. Lamkin came to Newhall in 1917 and opened a garage facing San Fernando Road. Shortly after construction the warehouse was converted into an icehouse which is still in operation. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare intact example of an early industrial/commercial building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24238 Main Street -Sheriff Substation #6:

The Sheriff Substation #6, located at 24238 Main Street (formerly San Fernando Road), is significant for its association with institutional development in Santa Clarita. This structure was built in 1926 as a sheriff substation. The Newhall Station housed a company of eight sheriff's deputies commanded by Captain Jeb Stewart, serving Soledad Township and the Newhall area for four decades. It served as the community's second jail when cells were added in 1928 after the closing of the old constabulary/jail building on Spruce Street. The Newhall Signal newspaper took over the building in 1968, using it as a "back shop" until they relocated in 1986. The current tenant is the Canyon Theatre Guild. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare intact example of an early civic/municipal building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the city be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24247-24251 Main Street— Tom Mix Cottages #1 & #2:

The Tom Mix Cottages #1 and #2, located at 24247-24251 Main Street (formerly San Fernando Road), are significant for their association with the film industry in Santa Clarita. Tom Mix Cottage #1(24247) was built in 1919 by Halsey W. Russell. Six additional cottages, including Tom Mix Cottage #2 ( 2425 1) were built in 1922, forming a motor court catering to drivers on the old Ridge Route. These seven commercial structures were commonly known as "The Tom Mix Cottages". The structures were used as lodging by people in the motion picture industry during local filming. Tom Mix used one cottage as a dressing room on several occasions. The area was known as "Mixville" before the larger Mixville Studio in Glendale. Tenants have included: Minsterio Lluvias de Gracia; The Needleworks; Antiques; Modem Beauty Salon (1961); Frenchy's Trading Post & Indian Store (1961). The property is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare example of a film industry property in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24522 Spruce Street - Old Newhall Jail:

The Old Newhall Jail, located at 24522 Spruce Street, is significant for its association with institutional development in Santa Clarita. Completed in 1906, plans for this building called for a concrete building with a 1/4-inch thick steel door. The windows were covered with heavy screens and the interior walls were whitewashed in the Spanish Mission style. Records from the Newhall Sheriff's Station (Substation #6) indicate that the jail housed an estimated 250 prisoners between January and October 1939 after which time it was no longer used. It served as the jail and constable's office until 1926 when the sheriff's substation was opened. Since then it has housed various commercial businesses, most recently Antique Flower Garden; the structure retains the original barred windows and may also retain the cell doors. Tenants have included: Antique Flower Garden; Newhall Radiator (1961). It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare example of an early civic/municipal building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the city be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24757 Oakcreek Ave. - Melody Ranch:

Melody Ranch, located at 24757 Oakcreek Avenue, is significant for its association with the film industry in Santa Clarita. The Ranch is a collection of authentic Western buildings developed in the 1920s as a film set by pioneer filmmakers Ernie Hickson and Trem Carr of Monogram Pictures. The Ranch originally developed at the present location of Golden Oak Ranch and known as Monogram Ranch as so many of the company's Westerns were filmed there. In the mid-1930s the buildings were moved to their current location. From 1949 to 1951 it was the site of Newhall's Old West 4th of July celebration when it became "Slippery Gulch". In 1952 it was purchased by actor Gene Autry and renamed Melody Ranch. The property was used for many early television programs including Gunsmoke. Most of the structures burned down in valley-wide brush fire on August 28, 1962 (date corrected — Ed.). The Spanish-style arches and portions of the main street and Mexican village remain intact. In 1990 the ranch was purchased by the Veluzat family of Newhall and rebuilt. It remains a working movie ranch used for filming the HBO series "Deadwood". It is the site of the City's annual Cowboy Poetry Festival. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare example of a film industry related property in Santa Clarita.

24148 Pine Street -California Star Oil Company & Standard Oil House:

The California Star Oil Company & Standard Oil House, located at 24148 Pine Street, is significant for its association with early settlement and oil discovery in Santa Clarita. Sometimes called "The Newhall Cottage", this residence was built in 1878 by California Star Oil Company as a guest house for visiting officials. Guests included oil man Demetrius G. Scofield who became the first president of Standard Oil of California, Senator Charles N. Felton who became the first president of Pacific Coast Oil, and Lyman Stewart who was one of the founders of Union Oil Co., Santa Paula. In 1915 Standard Oil sold the property to longtime Pico Canyon employee Josh Woodbridge who lived there until his death in 1950. It was moved to its present site. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare example of a property related to early settlement and oil discovery in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24527 Spruce Street - American Legion Hall:

The American Legion Hall, located at 24527 Spruce Street, is significant for its association with institutional development in Santa Clarita. It was built in 1940 with a donation from William S. Hart, and designed by theater architect S. Charles Lee. At the time, Hart owned several parcels in the Newhall area. He commissioned the theater building and donated the property to the American Legion Post to hold and administer. The Legion leased the property to the theater. It was dedicated by Hart in 1941, and was the first movie house in the valley. The theater closed in 1965, and the American Legion Post 507 converted it to their meeting and entertainment center. SAM Rocket monument is also on the property. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare example of an early theater building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the city be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

Properties Recommended for Designation

(Heritage Junction) 24151 Newhall Avenue - Heritage Junction Historic Park:

• Callahan's School House; Little Red School House - The Callahan's School House (Little Red School House), located at 24151 Newhall Avenue (formerly San Fernando Road) in Heritage Junction Historic Park, is significant for its association with the film industry in Santa Clarita. It was originally built in 1927 to resemble a one-room schoolhouse as part of Mission Village, Robert E. Callahan's 1920s western town and amusement area in Santa Monica. It was relocated to Mint Canyon (Saugus) when the freeway was built in 1963 and renamed Callahan's Old West. In 1987 it was donated by Callahan's widow Marion and relocated to Heritage Junction Historic Park in William S. Hart Park. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare intact example of a film industry related property.

• Edison House - The Edison House, located at 24151 Newhall Avenue (formerly San Fernando Road) in Heritage Junction Historic Park, is significant for its association with residential development in Santa Clarita. Built in 1919 as part of a group of houses provided for Edison workers assigned to the Saugus substation, it was designed in a Bavarian style and modified in 1925. These structures escaped damage when the St. Francis Dam broke in 1928. After years of use by Edison employees the structures were acquired by the Newhall Land & Farming Company which demolished six of the cottages. This structure was in the best condition and preserved. In 1989 it was relocated to Heritage Junction Historic Park in William S. Hart Park. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a good intact example of an early residential building in Santa Clarita.

• Kingsburry House - The Kingsburry House, located at 24151 Newhall Avenue (formerly San Fernando Road) in Heritage Junction Historic Park, is significant for its association with early settlement and residential development in Santa Clarita. Built in 1878 at 8th Street and San Fernando Road, the house was designed in the Colonial Revival style. In 1883 this residence was occupied by Lyman Stewart, a founder of the Union Oil Company. In 1911 it was moved to Walnut Street near Market. In 1987 it was relocated to Heritage Junction Historic Park in William S. Hart Park and decorated in historic style by the Questers. Other sources indicate that this residence was originally built in the 1890s at Walnut near Market. It appears to date from the 1890s11900. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a good intact example of an early residential building in Santa Clarita.

• Mitchell Adobe School House - The Mitchell Adobe School House, located at 24151 Newhall Avenue (formerly San Fernando Road) in Heritage Junction Historic Park, is significant for its association with early settlement in Santa Clarita. Built in the 1860s by Colonel Thomas Mitchell, officer of the Mexican-American War, in Sulphur Springs, this adobe building served as the family home. One room was used as a schoolhouse for the local children, making it the first school in the area and home of the second oldest school district in Los Angeles County. In 1986 the adobe was dismantled and rebuilt brick by brick in Heritage Junction Historic Park in William S. Hart Park. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare intact example of a building related to the early settlement of Santa Clarita.

• Newhall Ranch House - The Newhall Ranch House, located at 24151 Newhall Avenue (formerly San Fernando Road) in Heritage Junction Historic Park, is significant for its association with early settlement in Santa Clartia. Built in 1861 as the headquarters of Rancho San Francisco, the original land grant comprising 48,800 acres of the Santa Clara River Valley, including all of Valencia and portions of Castaic. After 1875, the Ranch was owned by Henry Mayo Newhall and administered by his son George. The ranch house was originally located within sight of the Estancia de San Francisco Xavier (now Six Flags Magic Mountain property); it was enlarged in 1891/1893. In 1990 it was relocated to Heritage Junction Historic Park in William S. Hart Park. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an rare intact example of a residential building related to the early settlement of Santa Clarita.

• Ramona Chapel - The Ramona Chapel, located at 24151 Newhall Avenue (formerly San Fernando Road) in Heritage Junction Historic Park, is significant for its association with the film industry in Santa Clarita. Built in 1926 to resemble the chapel at Rancho Camulos made famous in Helen Hunt Jackson's novel Ramona. It was originally built as part of Mission Village, Robert E. Callahan's 1920s western town and amusement area in Santa Monica. The Chapel was designed by noted composer Carrie Jacobs Bond. Mission Village was relocated to Mint Canyon (Saugus) when the freeway was built in 1963 and renamed Callahan's Old West. The interior wall paintings are by Frank Tinney Johnson, and the altar is said to be over 200 years old. The wooden pews date back to 1858. In 1987 it was donated by Callahan's widow Marion and relocated to Heritage Junction Historic Park in William S. Hart Park. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare intact example of a film industry related property in Santa Clarita.

Properties for City Council Consideration

24307 Railroad Avenue - Santa Clarita Courthouse: Masonic

The Santa Clarita Courthouse and Masonic Lodge, located at 24307 Railroad Avenue, is significant for its association with institutional development in Santa Clarita. Construction began in 1931 by the Newhall Masonic Building Company, Ltd. George Chapman of Van Nuys was hired to build this two-story structure, it opened in 1932. It is believed that salvaged lumber from the Mayhue Building was used in its construction including the floor of the Hap-a-Land dance hall. The County Courthouse occupied the ground floor and the Masonic Lodge the second floor. The Newhall Masonic Building Company liquidated and the property was sold in 1960. The County relocated the court to Valencia in 1968 and the first floor was renovated for office uses. Tenants have included: Railroad Café; Newhall TV Service. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare example of an early civic/municipal building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24338 Walnut -Emile Chaix Residence:

The Emile Chaix Residence, located at 24338 Walnut Street, is significant for its association with residential development in Santa Clarita. It was built in 1915 by local merchant Emile M. Chaix as his family residence. Chaix owned the Derrick Saloon in Newhall (1892), and later operated a grocery store (1898), Chaix Restaurant (1913), and tire shop (1924), on San Fernando Road near 8th Street. It currently houses the Boy Scouts of America Service Center. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a good example of an early residential building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

Webmaster's Note: Emile Chaix immigrated to the United States from France in 1906 and attained U.S. citizenship in 1911. See 1920 U.S. Census.

Properties Not Recommended for Designation

22506-22508 6th Street - Perkins Office Court; former Signal Office:

The Perkins Office Court, located at 22506-22508 6th Street, is significant for its association with commercial development in Santa Clarita. This was the office of A.B. Perkins. It was used as the circulation office for the Newhall Signal newspaper from the 1960s until 1986. Other tenants have included: Newhall Signal newspaper; Friendly Hair SalonlKozy Corner. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a good example of a Modern style commercial office building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24229 Main Street - Dental Office:

This dental office, located at 24229 Main Street (formerly San Fernando Road), is significant for its association with commercial development. This structure has been a dental office for over 60 years. It is a rare and highly intact Moderne brick structure. It is one of the few buildings in Downtown Newhall noted for its architectural merit. The current tenant is a dentist. Other tenants have included Dr. Howard G. Stowitts, DDS, and Dr. William D. Ross, DDS (1961). The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a good intact example of a Modern commercial office building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24307-24311 Main Street - Beneficial Loans:

The Beneficial Loans building, located at 24307-24311 Main Street (formerly San Fernando Road), is significant for its association with commercial development in Santa Clarita. Tenants have included: Envios de Dinero; Newhall Coin Laundry; Boost Mobile; Nagco Glass. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a good intact example of a Modern commercial retail building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should be re-evaluated as part of this larger area.

24317-24321 Main Street:

This building, located at 24317-24321 Main Street (formerly San Fernando Road), is significant for its association with commercial development in Santa Clarita. Dr. Sarah L. Murray was Newhall's medical practitioner during the 1940s and 1950s. Her office was located on the west side of Spruce Street (San Fernando Road) between Market and Eighth Streets. Tenants have included: Army Surplus; Vallaryha Services; Army Surplus; National Glass; Kar-lins Krafts; Preferred Glass; Roland Thompson Insurance-Newhall Flower & Gift-McCoy Jewelers (1961). The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as an example of an early commercial building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24322 Main Street - Newhall Hardware:

The Newhall Hardware building, located at 24322 Main Street (formerly San Fernando Road), is significant for its association with commercial development in Santa Clarita. Built in 1947 as Newhall Hardware, the business operated for more than 60 years before closing in 2008. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a good intact example of a Modern commercial retail building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

22909-22916 Market Street:

The three residential properties located at 22908-22916 Market Street are significant for their association with residential development in Santa Clarita. The three separate bungalows were built by the Wilsons and occupied by the Wilkies. The bungalow on the left was built first, the one on the right shortly thereafter. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as intact examples of early residential buildings. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24326 Walnut Street:

The single-family residence located at 24326 Walnut Street is significant for its association with residential development in Santa Clarita. Ann Baily lived here in the 1940s. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a good example of an early residential building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24328 Walnut Street:

Walnut Court, located at 24328 Walnut Street, is significant for its association with residential development in Santa Clartia. Walnut Court is (was) owned by Harry and Minnie Dawson as rental units. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as a rare intact example of a Craftsman style residential bungalow court in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should also be evaluated as part of this larger area.

24287 Newhall Avenue - Erwin Bungalow:

The Erwin Bungalow, located at 24287 Newhall Avenue, is significant for its association with residential development in Santa Clarita. It was the home of the Erwins (possibly Rennes Erwin), an early Newhall family. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation due to historic association with important persons in Santa Clarita. This is a preliminary evaluation based upon available information and could be revised in the future if additional information came to light. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should be re-evaluated as part of this larger area.

24311-24313 Main Street -Frew Blacksmith Shop:

The Frew Blacksmith Shop, located at 24311-24313 Main Street (formerly San Fernando Road), is significant for its association with commercial development in Santa Clarita. Built in 1910 by Thomas Frew as his blacksmith shop. Frew came to Newhall in 1891 and opened his first blacksmith shop on Railroad Avenue. In 1924 it was expanded when son Thomas Frew Jr. converted it to a welding and machine shop. In 1935 it was remodeled into its present Spanish Mission style, concurrent with the widening of San Fernando Road (now Main Street). Tenants have included: Joyeria Electronics; Envios de Dinero; Video Mas; film rental store. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The property appears eligible for local designation as an individual resource as an example of an early commercial building in Santa Clarita. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should be re-evaluated as part of this larger area.

22621 13th Street -Jauregui House:

The Jauregui House, located at 22621 13th Street, is associated with early residential development in Santa Clarita. In 1873 a residence was constructed at Lyons Station for Adam Malinzewski. In approximately 1879 it was moved to Newhall by J.O. Newhall. (Some sources indicated that it was moved to San Fernando Road, others to the corner of Market and Spruce). In approximately 1902 the residence was acquired by the T.M. Frew family, pioneer blacksmiths. In approximately 1925 it was acquired by Ed Jauregui, who moved to its present location. It is currently a City of Santa Clarita Point of Historical Interest. The existing residence appears to date from the early 20th century. While remnants of the 1873 structure may be present, these are not readily identifiable from the public right-of-way. This property appears eligible for local designation due to historic associations with several important persons in Santa Clarita. This is a preliminary evaluation based upon available information and could be revised in the future if additional information came to light. This property is located in Downtown Newhall. Should a comprehensive survey of this important part of the City be undertaken in the future, this property should be re-evaluated as part of this larger area.

CITY OF SANTA CLARITA: HISTORIC PRESERVATION

• CURRENT General Plan (OVOV, 2011): Historic Resources
• CURRENT Historic Preservation Ordinance, 1-8-2013
thumbnail
CURRENT List of Historic Structures, Adopted 11-27-2012
• Story 11-28-2012: Council Revises Ordinance
CITYWIDE SURVEY & PROPERTY LISTING

thumbnail
Survey & List


• List Only
OBSOLETE ITEMS

• General Plan 1991: Historic Resources
thumbnail
Downtown Newhall Historic Resources Survey & Impact Analysis 2005
thumbnail
Downtown Newhall Specific Plan: Historic Properties 2005/2007 (Superseded 2012)
• Properties Under Consideration, August 2011 (List Not Adopted)
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply