A steam-powered pile driver used southwest of Castaic Junction
to install timber piles for a new bridge to replace one that washed away when the floodwaters hit
during the early morning hours of March 13, 1928.
Click map to enlarge.
According to Jason Brice, the pile driver seen in this photo (RO2803e) and
this photo (RO2803f) is in the same location, one view looking west and the other east.
Brice has circled the spot where the pile driver is being used to rebuild the bridge over Castaic Creek.
Destroyed highway and railroad bridges | Click to enlarge.
Construction on the 600-foot-long, 185-foot-high St. Francis Dam started in August 1924. With a 12.5-billion-gallon capacity, the reservoir began to fill with water on March 1, 1926. It was completed two months later.
At 11:57:30 p.m. on March 12, 1928, the dam failed, sending a 180-foot-high wall of water crashing down San Francisquito Canyon. An estimated 431 people lay dead by the time the floodwaters reached the Pacific Ocean south of Ventura 5½ hours later.
It was the second-worst disaster in California history, after the great San Francisco earthquake and fire of 1906, in terms of lives lost — and America's worst civil engineering failure of the 20th Century.