March 2022 —
Researcher Robert Schwemmer discovers the origins of the steel truss bridge that spans the Santa Clara River along the City of Santa Clarita's Iron Horse Trail, near the old "Edison Curve"
on Magic Mountain Parkway.
The bridge was built in 1898 by the Phoenix Bridge Co. of Phoenixville, Penn., for the Southern Pacific Railroad's Colorado River crossing at Yuma, Arizona. Replaced at Yuma in 1926, the Southern Pacific
moved it to its present location after the railroad's previous bridge over the Santa Clara River was destroyed in the St. Francis Dam Disaster of March 1928.
Following the railroad's abandonment of its Santa Paula Branch line in 1984, the bridge was featured in numerous motion pictures including "The Lost Boys" (1987), "Throw Momma from the Train" (1987) and "The Grifters" (1990). In 2012, the City of Santa Clarita opened the bridge to the public as part of its 4-mile multi-use Iron Horse Trail connection to the South Fork Trail.
Video ©2022 Robert Schwemmer, used by permission.