Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> NEWHALL   > FOURTH OF JULY PARADE
1st Place, Commercial: T.M. Frew Blacksmith Shop
1950 Fourth of July Parade | Newhall, Calif.

Tom Frew's blacksmithing shop on San Fernando Road took the first-place trophy in the Commercial Division in the 1950 Fourth of July Parade in downtown Newhall. 1950 marked the shop's 50th anniversary.

Tom Frew II established the family blacksmithing shop in 1900 on San Fernando Road (then called Spruce) between Market and Eighth Streets, where it stood for three generations until it was finally closed by Tom IV in 1970.

Further reading: The Accidental Blacksmiths Of Old Newhall by Ruth Waldo Newhall.

NEWHALL FOURTH OF JULY 1950

thumbnail
Event Program

thumbnail
Carolina Cotton
"Grand Marshalette"

thumbnail
Frew Blacksmith Shop, 1st Place Commercial

thumbnail
Slippery Gulch Tokens

thumbnail
Slippery Gulch Postcard

TOM FREW FAMILY & BLACKSMITH SHOP

See Also:
Spruce Street, 8th to Market, West Side

Read: The Accidental Blacksmiths of Old Newhall.
thumbnail
Sam Smith Blacksmith 1888

thumbnail
Thomas M. Frew II

thumbnail
Shop & Home ~1910

thumbnail
Back of Blacksmith Shop 1920s

thumbnail
Blacksmith Shop 1936

thumbnail
July 4 Parade 1950

thumbnail
July 4 Parade 1953

thumbnail
Tom Frew IV 2003

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply