Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> NEWHALL FOURTH OF JULY   > TED LAMKIN COLLECTION
1980 Newhall Fourth of July Parade
Newhall, California

The 1980 Newhall Fourth of July Parade started at 11 a.m. Friday, July 4, at Hart Park and ran north on San Fernando Road (now called Main Street) to Lyons Avenue to Newhall Avenue, ending at Newhall Park (between Hart High and Placerita Junior High). The Signal newspaper hosted a fireworks display on the Hart High upper field at dusk.

First photo in this set features Ruth Newhall (driving her car) and Cynthia Neal-Harris, leaders of the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society's successful effort to save the Southern Pacific Railroad's Saugus Train Station from demolition in 1980. Similar to a "thermometer" showing the progress of a capital campaign, Ruth parked her car on San Fernando Road between the depot's original location and its future home two miles away, in the section of William S. Hart Park that would become Heritage Junction — moving her car closer and closer to Hart Park with each donation. In all, $64,000 was raised. See a partial donor list here. The depot moved overnight June 24-25, a week and a half prior to this parade.

Photos by Ted Lamkin.


TL8002: Download original images here.
NEWHALL FOURTH OF JULY 1890

thumbnail

Photo Set

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
comments powered by Disqus
  • Calendar