Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

Santa Clarita Valley 1980 Street Map.
With Points of Interest.


[Reverse side of map / Page 2 above]:

This Santa Clarita Valley Area Map was created for the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce by Commerce Productions, 3311 Van Nuys Blvd., Van Nuys, CA 91401.

Robert C. Bardwell, chamber of commerce president

Jo Anne Darcy, chamber executive manager

Bob Scott, map project director of operations

Ron Levinson, sales manager

Dennis Muehlenbach, map project manager

The Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce — formerly the Newhall-Saugus-Valencia Chamber of Commerce — was established in 1923 and since that time has been involved in community programs to improve and develop the communities in the Santa Clarita Valley.

The Chamber is voluntary and continually strives to unite the business and professional concerns to create a nucleus for improving cooperation and communication within the community.

The Chamber is located in the old Pardee House, which began its long career before the turn of the century and was originally located on Pine Street, south of Market Street where it served as a town hall.

To learn more about the benefits of Chamber Membership and your opportunity to participate in its work, call the Santa Clarita Valley Chamber of Commerce at 259-4787. Call us or stop in at 24275 Walnut Ave. in Newhall.

Points of Interest.

The Saugus Depot has found a new home at the northeast corner of Hart Park. The site of this old station originally on old San Fernando Road in Saugus, was deeded to the Southern Pacific in 1886 by Henry M Newhall. The building itself was opened in the late 1880s after the spur line to Ventura was completed. The depot is being moved to Hart park to become a community and cultural center as well as a museum.

Fillmore State Fish Hatchery is on Highway 126 in the town of Fillmore. It produces 1 million rainbow trout each year. The hatchery is open to the public Monday through Friday, 8 to 5.

Castaic Junction is the site of the largest Indian village in the valley. In 1804, the Asistencia de San Francisco was built on a bluff overlooking the junction. A small railway depot was built in 1888 to take on cattle and honey from the area.

Frazier Park is in the Los Padres National Forest and is a western-style town, rich in historic lore. Frazier Park is a location for many movies and TV shows and has easy access to winter sports.

PLACERITA NATURE CENTER is located at the west end of the Placerita Park and is the nature center complex which includes a museum, classroom, bird observation area, displays on ecology, biology, and related fields and exhibits of live animals. Monday through Friday, the center provides naturalist-conducted programs for school and youth groups by appointment. For a really challenging hike you can follow the Los Pinetos self-guided nature trail to the crest where there is a very spectacular view of the San Fernando Valley. Highway 14, Placerita Canyon offramp. 19150 Placerita Canyon Rd., 259-7721.

VASQUEZ ROCKS COUNTY PARK: This huge outcropping of rocks, located northeast of the Valley, was once the hideout of Tiburcio Vasquez, a notorious bandit of the mid-1800s. The rocks, tilting upward to 200 feet, are located on a fault and were created by earth movements millions of years ago. Many movies and TV programs are filmed in the 900-acre park. Hiking, picnicking, and overnight camping is available. Admission is $.50 per car; $1.00 overnight. The park is reached via the Antelope Valley Freeway to the Agua Dulce Canyon Road off-ramp. 10700 Escondido Canyon Rd., Saugus, 268-0991.

BOUQUET CANYON (ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST): The Saugus District of the 691,000-acre Angeles National Forest is on three sides of the Santa Clarita Valley. Bouquet Canyon, a ten-minute drive from the center of this valley, provides a shaded stream stocked with trout, picnicking areas, campsites, and is only one small section. There are over 100 camps and picnic grounds, wilderness areas, many good roads and trails throughout the Angeles National Forest. All forest service campgrounds in the Saugus Ranger District have fireplaces, tables, toilets and parking space.

WILLIAM S. HART REGIONAL PARK is a 260-acre park built as the palatial home of the silent Western movie star "Bill" Hart and was willed to the people as a public park. On display in his home, "La Loma de Los Vientas," are paintings and drawings by Charles M. Russell, James Flagg, antique guns, Indian rugs, sculpture and movie "props" from Hart's silent screen days. 24141 Newhall Ave., Newhall, 259-0855.

SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN AMUSEMENT PARK: A beautiful, enchanting amusement/entertainment park where young and old alike find thrills amidst a lush setting of flowers, majestic oaks and rolling green hills. On 200 acres, one can find exciting rides delightful shows, celebrity entertainers, picturesque restaurants, fascinating shops, the authentic folkcraft artisans of "Spillikin Corners," the American Revolutionary Roller Coaster and Colossus. Interstate 5 to Magic Mountain Parkway Exit, (213) 367-2203 / (805) 255-4111

PLACERITA CANYON STATE AND COUNTY PARK AND OAK OF THE GOLDEN DREAM: This 350-acre nature preserve is located in Placerita Canyon and two miles east of Newhall. The park offers hiking trails, picnic areas, play equipment, campgrounds and marked nature trails. The "Oak of the Golden Dream," site of California's first gold discovery in 1842, still grows in the park and is a state historical monument. The park is reached via the Antelope Valley Freeway, Highway 14 (Interstate) and east at the Placerita Canyon Road offramp.

THE SAUGUS SPEEDWAY, built in 1923, was originally a rodeo stadium. It was operated by cowboy actor Hoot Gibson and attracted many Hollywood stars including Harry Carey, Tom Mix, William S. Hart and John Wayne. It was first used for auto racing in 1947. Today in addition to auto racing it hosts a busy Sunday swap meet. P.O. Box 5, Saugus, 91350 259-3886.

CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF THE ARTS: Valencia's CalArts is the result of a plan conceived by Walt Disney. The school is devoted exclusively to visual and performing arts and is literally a community of the arts — on a campus made up of six definite divisions. The school of the Arts offers young artists the opportunity to work on a wide range of media and approaches in independent as well as group projects. The school of Dance has its primary focus on training students to be choreographers — performers in modern dance. The design school program encompasses four major fields: Environmental Design, Graphic Design, Photography and Product Design. Film and Video has opportunities in both action photography and film graphics (animation). Aspiring performers and composers of music are trained and educated in the Music school. The sixth school is the Theater for preparation in all aspects of performing, directing and staging. 24700 McBean Parkway, Valencia 91355, 255-1050.

BEALE'S CUT is visible from Highway 14 approximately 3,000 feet north of its junction with the Golden State Freeway. This 92-foot-deep cut was made for a toll road by E.F. Beale in 1863. This cut was made with hand tools and without the aid of explosives. Even today the marks of the picks and shovels can be seen on the rock walls. Many early movies featured this chasm in their "chase" scenes with daring cowboys jumping their horses across, thrilling the young viewers with their derring-do.

PIONEER OIL REFINERY is on Pine Street, south of San Fernando Road in Newhall. This was first built in 1879 and restored in 1930 as a memorial to D.G. Scofield. The refinery was built by California Star Oil Works, a predecessor of Standard Oil Company of California.

CASTAIC LAKE STATE AND COUNTY RECREATION AREA: Castaic Lake forms a V-shaped body of water extending into Castaic and Elizabeth Lake Canyons. When the Lake is completely filled, there will be 34 miles of shoreline and 324,000 acre-feet, 2230 surface-acres, of water for recreational purposes. Immediately south of the Dam is the Castaic Lagoon, a 180-acre nonfluctuating pool, developed expressly for a day-use area. The lake is open daily from daylight to sunset; water skiing 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The east side of the dam has a five-lane launching area and parking for cars and trailers. A four-lane ramp is being developed on the west side. The Castaic Lagoon offers swimming, fishing and parking for cars and trailers. A four-lane ramp is being developed on the west side. The Castaic Lagoon offers swimming, fishing and non-powered boating. The Castaic Recreational Area is reached via Interstate 5 and Lake Hughes Road off-ramp, 257-2575.

OTHER AREA LAKES, HUGHES: North of Canyon Country, private boat launching facilities. ELIZABETH: North of Saugus, small rain-fed lake, fishing and limited swimming. PIRU: 6 miles up Piru Canyon off Hwy 126, fishing boating and camping. PYRAMID: 20 miles north of Valencia, fishing, boating, swimming, picnicking and camping.


TN8002: Download archival scans and jpegshere. Courtesy of Tony Newhall. Document file.
RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
comments powered by Disqus