Traffic circle, or "roundabout" in modern parlance, at the intersection of Newhall Avenue, Railroad Avenue and San Fernando Road.
The timing is uncertain but this is probably right after the streets were paved in 1926.
Newhall Avenue is at the photographer's back. Railroad Avenue is at left. We're looking south down San Fernando Road. (This section was called San Fernando Road at the time.)
William S. Hart's Horseshoe Ranch
is at right, out of view. The first structure that's visible at right is the (second) home of Tom Frew, the town blacksmith.
If this is 1926, then Hart's hilltop mansion is under construction. After his death in 1946, his property became a county park, and the Frew property was later
added to it. Today the Frew house is a county park building, and the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society operates Heritage Junction Historic Park on the Frew
section of Hart Park (just beyond the house, in this photograph). Because the Frew property was never Hart's, it is not governed by the terms and conditions of Hart's will.
Then as now, Spruce Street (later called Main Street) ended at Fifth Street, behind us.
We're not sure when the traffic circle was removed; it might have been removed in 1935 when Spruce Street was widened and other changes were made.
As of the summer/fall of 2013, after an absence of roughly 80 years, a new traffic circle is under construction at this same location.
A few years earlier, Spruce Street — or rather Main Street, same thing — was re-narrowed.