Animation 2011: Newhall Roundabout (traffic circle) at the junction of Newhall Avenue, Main Street and 5th Street, constructed in 2013.
Background (from city staff report, June 25, 2013)
In 2005, City Council adopted the Downtown Newhall Specific Plan (DNSP), which outlined the vision for the future of Old Town Newhall and created a plan to revitalize the area.
Since the plan adoption, a number of significant infrastructure projects, such as the Railroad Avenue Circulation Project, Newhall Metrolink Station, Veterans Historical Plaza,
Newhall Community Center, Streetscape, and the Old Town Newhall Public Library, have been completed.
As part of the DNSP, this federally and Landscape Maintenance District-funded project focuses on improving the traffic flow at the intersection of Newhall Avenue, 5th Street and Main Street,
by removing the existing signalized intersection and replacing it with a modern roundabout. It will provide a southern gateway to Old Town Newhall, with enhanced landscaping and a monument
entrance to Main Street. The center of the roundabout will also include a public art component.
City of Santa Clarita staff has worked closely with Los Angeles County staff to ensure the roundabout design and Hart Park frontage improvements are complementary.
The County has removed the chain link fencing and replaced it with wrought iron fencing, along with making enhancements to the exterior of the park.
The collaboration between the County and City will result in a complete transformation of the southern entrance to Old Town Newhall. In addition to the aesthetic enhancements,
the modern roundabout will allow for smoother traffic flow at the intersection of Newhall Avenue, 5th Street, and Main Street, providing pedestrian connectivity between Main Street and Hart Park.
Project Approvals (Santa Clarita City Council, June 25, 2013)
* Award the construction contract to R.C. Becker and Son Inc., in the amount of $1,524,690, and authorize a contingency in the amount of $228,704 for a total contract amount not to exceed $1,753,394.
* Authorize an expenditure in the amount of $92,000 to MNS Engineers Inc., for a professional services contract to provide construction engineering and construction survey.
* Authorize an expenditure in the amount of $30,000 to Pacific Coast Land Design for landscape architect support during construction.
* Award a contract to Tetra Tech Inc., in the amount of $140,000 for construction management services.
* Appropriate Landscape Maintenance District Funds (Fund 357) in the amount of $1,107,450 to expenditure account.