See Also AGUA DULCE
- Envelope From Tolfree's Saugus Café, 1890.
- Tolfree's Dining Room (Saugus Café) inside Saugus Depot, 1890s.
- SPRR Saugus Depot with Dining Room, 1890s.
- Pottery Sherd, 1891-1905, from Tolfree's Saugus Eating House (Saugus Café).
- (11) Flow Blue China Pieces Appropriate to Tolfree's Saugus Eating House, 1890s.
- Martin Wood's Saugus Café, 1914.
- MacDougall's Saugus Cafe, Matchbook Cover, 1938.
- Saugus Cafe in TV's "Highway Patrol," 2 Views, 1955.
- Saugus Cafe, Both Buildings, 3 Views, 1957-1958.
Saugus Elementary School & SUSD
- Saugus Elementary School, Earliest Known Photo, 1910.
- Original Saugus Elementary School, 2 Views, 1910.
- Saugus Elementary School, Expansion, ~1920s.
- Saugus Elementary School, 1938 Version.
- Saugus Union School District Mystery Photo Album, 1960s.
- Saugus Elementary School Bell, 8-19-1998.
- Saugus Elementary School: Kindergarten 1956.
Trouble With Wobblies at Newhall and Saugus November-December 1916.
1929 Saugus Train Robbery
- Actual Photo Used by Train Robber Tom Vernon to Masquerade as Buffalo Vernon, 1962
- Will the Real Buffalo Vernon Please Stand Up? • SCVHistory.com, March 2017.
- The Bogus Story of Tom Vernon and the Sweetwater Incident • Golden West, July 1967.
- Crackpot Lester F. Mead Confesses to Role in 1929 Saugus Train Robbery, 11-1929.
- Great Saugus Train Robbery with Passengers, Earliest Known Photo, 11-10-1929.
- Great Saugus Train Robbery: Daybreak, African American Workers, Woman with Baby, Baker Ranch, 11-11-1929.
- Great Saugus Train Robbery: Engine No. 59, 11-11-1929 (3 Views).
- Great Saugus Train Robbery: Cleaning Up the Wreckage, November 1929 (2 Views).
- Tom Vernon, aka Tom Averill, Saugus Train Robber of 1929.
- Breaking: Fugitive Tom Vernon Captured in Oklahoma; Wire Photo 12-3-1929.
- Thomas Vernon Mugshots, 12/1929.
- "Buffalo" Tom Vernon, 1929 Train Robber, After Prison Release, 3 Views, 1957-58.
- Death Certificate: Tom Vernon, 1929 Saugus Train Robber.
- The Locomotive Tom Vernon Wrecked: SPRR Engine No. 5042 in 1939.
- The Locomotive Tom Vernon Wrecked: SPRR Engine No. 5042, ~1940s.
- The Locomotive Tom Vernon Wrecked: SPRR Engine No. 5042, ~1940s-early 1950s.
Saugus Airport (Newhall Intermediate Field)
See Also AIRCRAFT DOWN
- Newhall Airport (Newhall Intermediate Field), 1930-47 (6 Views & Story).
- Saugus/Newhall Airport Map, 1930.
- Aviation Writer Devon Francis Takes First Solo Flight in a Hawley Bowlus Glider, 7-3-1941.
- Saugus/Newhall Airport Map, 1946.
Gold-Silver Claims Contain Uranium, Thorium. California Mining Journal, October 1955
Thatcher Glass Mfg. Co.
- Inside Thatcher Glass, 1955.
- Hilltop/Aerial View of Thatcher Glass Mfg. Co., ~1980.
- Keysor-Century Corp., Aerial View, ~1986.
- Corral Drive-In: 1960 Playbill.
- Corral Drive-In: Small Popcorn Bag, 1950s-1960s.
- The Corral Drive-In Theatre, Interior & Exteriors, 1963.
- Corral Drive-In Theatre Location, 1963 & 1987.
HB1717 - Southern Pacific Right-of-Way & Track Map; All Property Transactions 1876-1992.
SPRR Saugus Depot Built, Opened in 1888 (not 1887) • News reports.
AL1976 - Southern Pacific Company, Standard Time Schedules, November, 1895.
AP1930 - Bercaw's General Store, July 1907.
Saugus Division Aqueduct Workers Angered by Pay Cut, Spoiled Food • News reports, 1909.
One Aqueduct Worker Beats, Robs Another at Saugus • News reports, February 1910.
LW2735 - L.A. Aqueduct: Deadman Canyon Siphon Under Construction, Saugus, 1910.
GR0804 - Ranching in Saugus, 1910.
AP1924 - Downtown Saugus, 1910s.
AP1924a - Downtown Saugus (detail), 1910s.
ST0901 - L.A. Aqueduct Construction Headquarters at Saugus Junction, 1909.
AP1925 - L.A. Aqueduct Construction Camp/HQ at Saugus Junction, 1911.
LW3052 - L.A. Aqueduct Construction Headquarters at Saugus Junction, 1907-1912.
LW3053 - Looking North Past SPRR Saugus Depot, 1907-1912.
AL1201 - Letter of Recommendation from L.A. Aqueduct Concrete Supt., Sent from Surrey, 1912.
LP1201 - Surrey Postmark, March 1912.
MJ1401 - Downtown Saugus, RPPC, Surrey Postmark, Mailed Early 1910s.
LW3244 - Greeting Card-Postcard, 1914.
AL2014 - SPRR Saugus Depot, 1914.
LW2189 - Owens Valley Water Pipeline, 1914.
LW2191 - Camp at Elizabeth Lake, 6-15-1914.
AL1924 - Surrey Inn in Saugus (Interior), ~1910s.
HS1901 - 2 Wells Fargo Express Trucks at SPRR Saugus Depot, 1919.
HS1902 - 2 Locomotives at SPRR Saugus Depot, Late 1910s.
AC2000 - Downtown Saugus Main Street, 1920s.
HS9023 - Renfro's Pharmacy in Saugus, mid/late 1920s.
AP1907 - Kellogg Home in Saugus (Valencia), ca. 1920s.
AL1924 - Surrey Inn in Saugus, ca. 1920s.
AL1925 - Saugus Garage in Saugus, ca. 1920s.
AL2121 - Downtown Saugus Aerial View, Real Photo Postcard (2 views), 8-3-1921.
The Pilgrim (1923)
- "The Pilgrim" (1923) Full Movie.
- "The Pilgrim": Charlie Chaplin at the Saugus Train Station, 1923 (7 Views).
- Charlie Chaplin Inside SPRR Saugus Depot in "The Pilgrim" (1923).
LW2722 - Wayfinding Signs at Saugus Junction, 1926.
DR2701 - Saugus Community Club House, 1927-1946.
AC3101 - Downtown Saugus Street Scene, 7-25-1931.
LW2946 - Snow in Saugus, 1932.
Slippery Hills: Geology of the Soledad Corridor • C.D. Cooksey, Master's Thesis, CalTech, 1934
LW2905 - Bear Canyon-Saugus CCC Camp (8 Views), 1935-36.
LW2896 - Southern Pacific Engine No. 3674 at Saugus, 3-29-1936.
AL2032 - SPRR Saugus Depot, ca. 1930s-1940s.
LW3400 - Saugus Train Station (Exteriors) in "Oh, Susanna!" with Gene Autry, 1936.
Looking North & South from Saugus Junction (2 Views), 1-4-1938.
LW3067 - Southern Pacific Locomotive Derailed, Overturned Outside of Saugus, 3-25-1938.
LW3485 - Southern Pacific Engine No. 2845 at Saugus, 5-28-1938.
Plum-Bouquet-Vasquez Cyn. Area: Geology of a Portion of the Humphreys Quadrangle • Flint 1939
LW2936 - SPRR Daylight Special at Saugus Depot, May 1941.
AP1905 - Destruction of F.S. Wood's Sandwich Shop, 1941.
LW2059 - Southern Pacific No. 4442 in Saugus, 1941. Postcard.
HB1904 - Color Film: Southern Pacific Cab Forwards at Saugus, ~Early 1940s.
Film Clip - Saugus Junction with SPRR Cab Forward, Stock Footage, Late 1940s.
PA5201 - Coming Into SPRR Saugus Depot, ca. 1948.
HS2004 - Downtown Saugus, Mid-1950s.
LW2519 - Circle J Ranch, Matchbook Cover, 1940s-1950s.
LW3618 - Film: Circle J Ranch Scenes in "The Lawless Breed" with Rock Hudson, 1952.
LAPD Breaks Ground for Drunk Farm on Ex-Bonelli Saugus Hilltop • News Reports, October 1952.
JR0100 - Recipe from the Rib Cafe.
PA0100 - SPRR Saugus Depot, 1950s.
LW3469 - Bouquet Junction Corners (Cafe), Matchbook Cover, 1950s.
HG5704 - Wood's Garage, Late 1950s.
LW2872 - Cub Scout Pack 75 (Saugus): Den Mother Certification Cards, 1957-58.
SW5801 - Saugus Oil Field Map: Location of Bermite No. 1 Oil Well • Union Oil 1958.
SW5901 - Saugus Oil Field Map: Location of Bonelli No. 2 Oil Well • Union Oil 1959.
LW3759 - Aerial View: Seco, Bouquet, Haskell, Plum Canyon Area, 1959.
LW2898 - Investors Celebrate Saugus Oil Gusher, 1963.
OX6403 - Bercaw Buildings, Thatcher Glass (2 Images), ~1964.
OX6404 - Entrance to L.A. City's Saugus Rehabilitation Center (Drunk Farm), ~1964.
AL1965 - SPRR Saugus Depot, 1965.
OX6501 - Saugus Rollerama, 1965.
LW2457 - Greetings from Saugus, Calif. Plastichrome Postcard, 1965-66.
LW3306 - Green Pastures Dairy: Half-Pint Milk Bottle, 1940s-60s.
LW3306 - Green Pastures Dairy: Half-Gallon Milk Bottle, 1940s-60s.
Green Pastures Dairy Farm (Pre-Saugus High) in "The Green Hornet" Ep.6, 1966.
Photo Gallery: Saugus Station Agent James Guthrie Still Sends Train Orders the Old-Fashioned Way • The Signal, 10-10-1967.
Lower San Francisquito Renamed "Seco Canyon Road," 1968.
AL7001 - SPRR Saugus Depot in Snow, 12-19-1970.
LW2249 - New-Home Billboard and Mustang Drive-in Marquee, 1973.
HS7803 - SPRR Saugus District Train Orders, Nov. 9-12, 1978.
HS7802 - SPRR Saugus District Train Orders, Nov. 12-15, 1978.
HS7804 - SPRR Saugus District Train Orders, Nov. 15-18, 1978.
LW3415 - Saugus Train Station Interiors & Exteriors in NBC's "Supertrain," 1979.
JD8001 - Abandoned SPRR Saugus Depot Prior to Move, Multiple Images, 4-17-1980.
CN8003 - Photo Gallery: SPRR Saugus Depot Moves to Heritage Junction, June 1980.
L.A. Mayor's Saugus State Prison Plan Fans Flames of Cityhood • News Reports, November 1985.
GT8802c - Morning Gridlock on Bouquet Canyon Road at Espuella, 2-1988.
HS8901 - SoCal Edison Saugus Substation Data Sheet, 1989. Gives Edison House History.
LW3141 - Future Santa Clarita Central Park Site, 1998.
SC9802 - Santa Clarita Central Park Groundbreaking, 1998.
LW2076 - Lombardi Ranch Fruit Label, 1999.
Soledad Village by Newhall Land: Draft EIR 11-3-2005.
LW2730 - Former Site of Saugus Community Club, aka Saugus Women's Club, 23027 Drayton St., 6-21-2014.
LW3682 - Photo Gallery: 1940s LADWP House at Dry Canyon Reservoir, 2020.
Saugus High School
HS7904 - Aerial Photos: Bouquet Junction, Saugus High School, Citation Homes Under Construction, 8-14-1979.
Saugus High's Gas Lines Replaced Due to Bovine Corrosion • October 1979.
HD1501 - Saugus High School, Aerial View, ~2015.
HD1502 - Architect's Renderings of Saugus High School Auditorium, 2015.
Saugus High School Shooting • November 14, 2019.
Principal Vince Ferry, Saugus High, Honored by Council on School Culture • April 6, 2020.
Arroyo Seco Junior High
GT9001 - Decoro Drive Under Construction, Arroyo Seco JHS, Seco Canyon ~1990.
And Baker Ranch / Hoot Gibson Rodeo
Chronological History of Saugus Speedway, published 1982.
Dates of the Annual Saugus Rodeo, 1926-1960.
Rodeo Arena to be Built at Baker Ranch • The Signal, 12-2-1926
HS1601 - Early Artist's Rendering of 1927 Baker Ranch Rodeo Arena, n.d.
Hoot Gibson Says He Has No Assets • Associated Press, 9-27-1933
Fire Claims Old Barn at Saugus Speedway, 11-21-1996 • News reports, November 1996.
Baker Ranch Rodeo Featured in Films • The Signal, 2-25-2001
Video: Remembering Saugus Speedway • COC Cougar News, 6-16-2010.
AL2026 - Advertising Postcard: Frank Smith Bulldogging, 1920s.
AL2027 - Advertising Postcard: Smoky Branch on "Glass Eye," 1920s.
AL2028 - Advertising Postcard: Ed Bowman Calf Roping, 1920s.
LW2310 - Baker Ranch or Hoot Gibson Rodeo, Charles Miller Photo, 1920s-1930s.
LW3411 - Annual Saugus Rodeo: End of Show, n.d., Charles Miller Photo, 1920s-1930s.
LW2169 - Hoot Gibson Rodeo, Real Photo Postcard, early 1930s.
LW3271 - Actor Leo Carillo at Hoot Gibson's Home (Bonelli House), Saugus Rodeo, 4-28-1935.
JN3801 - Hill's Ranch Rodeo, Great Flood of 3-2-1938.
LW2483 - Midget Auto Racing at Bonelli Stadium, 2 Views, 1945.
LW2703 - Bonelli Stadium Photo Annual 1945-1946, with History of Midget Auto Racing. 32 Pages plus cover.
HS9025 - Bonelli Stadium Pit Pass, 11-11-1945.
LW3726 - Bonelli Stadium Pit Pass, 11-25-1945.
LW3472 - Starting Lineup, Bonelli Stadium, ~1946.
LW3556 - Bonelli Stadium Pit Pass, 4-21-1946.
LW2995 - Driver Walt Faulkner at Bonelli Stadium, 1940s-50s.
LW3002 - Kurtis Roadster Shown at Saugus, 1950; Jim Henning Art 2006.
AP1428 - Saugus Speedway, Aerial View, ca. 1950s.
LW3523 - Saugus Speedway Trophy Girl Amedee Chabot Crowned Miss California (and Miss USA), 1962.
Fireball 500 (1966)
- Bonelli House in "Fireball 500" (1966) with Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello. 6 Views.
- Fireball 500: Lobby Cards (Full Set of 8).
- Fireball 500: Publicity Photo 1966.
- 2 George Barris Kustom Cars from 'Fireball 500' (1966).
Aerial - Saugus Speedway: Aerial View, Pre-1971.
Saugus Speedway Featured in "Rolling Man" with Dennis Weaver, ABC-TV Movie of the Week, 10-4-1972.
HB7503 - A Young Racefan's Saugus Speedway Photo Album, 1971-1975.
HM7502 - Henry Mayo Hospital Volunteer Recruitment Tea in Bonelli House, 1975.
LW3343 - Bonelli Ranch: Custom Christmas Card, n.d.
HS7903 - Aerial Photos: Saugus Speedway, Santa Clara River, 8-14-1979.
LW2541 - Ron Hornaday Sr., 1965 Champion. From 1982 Program Book.
Video - Saugus Speedway Scene from "Charlie's Angels" Ep. 1.1: "Hellride" 9-22-1976.
LW3312 - The Story of Dan Press (Valencia) • Stock Car Racing Magazine, July 1981.
GT8803 - Owners Demolish Historic Bonelli Ranch House, Multiple Images, 2-6-1988.
GT8902 - Dale White, No. 33 Chevelle Stock Car, ~1989.
LW3005 - Jason Priestly, Charlie Sheen at Benefit for Families of Injured Stunt Performers, 1991.
GT9201 - Will Harper with IROC Camaro, Southwest Tour, 9-10-1988.
LW2640 - Assessor's Map: Bouquet Junction (SE Corner) & Saugus Speedway, 2008.
Video - Legacy: "Sad" Sam Stanley, Saugus Speedway Racing Legend • SCVTV 2017.
Saugus Speedway Friends, Family Members Honor "Wild" Bill Foster • The Signal, 8-4-2019.
Bermite Powder Co.
Bermite Predecessor: Ex-Fighter Jim Jeffries & L.A. Powder Co., 1917, • News Reports, 1915-1920.
Halafax Explosives Co., Est. April 1935 (Bermite Predecessor), • Advertising & News Reports, 1934-36.
Halafax Explosives Co. Display Ad; Map, Contractors, • Los Angeles Times 4-22-1935.
LW2804 - Halafax Explosives Co. Advertisement, May 1935.
Bermite Powder Co. Expansion • News reports 1943.
About Patrick Lizza, Founder of Bermite Powder Co. • (Connellsville, Penn.) Daily Courier, 7-21-1944.
LW3196 - Memo to Bermite Workers on Effectiveness of Rockets, 7-12-1945.
Bermite Power Co. Advertisement • Los Angeles Times 1-2-1946.
LW2107 - Bermite Powder Co. Security Guard Badge.
LW3517 - Bermite's Patrick Lizza: He Sets the Sky On Fire • Saturday Evening Post, 10-13-1951/
LW2552 - Women Assemble Fuses, Bermite Powder Co., ~1955.
LW2569 - Bemite Want Ad & Golden State Fireworks Ad, 1957.
LW2556 - Golden State Fireworks Ad: Simulated Atomic Explosion, 1956.
Bermite Powder Co. Patent No. 2869463: Delayed Firing Cartridge, 1-20-1959.
Bermite Powder Co. Patent No. 2875959: Tilted Axis Muller, 3-3-1959.
LW2618 - Bermite Powder Co. Want Ad, Los Angeles Exmaminer, 1-3-1961.
Bermite Powder Co. Patent No. 2995088: Multi-Stage Igniter Charge, 8-8-1961.
Bermite Powder Co. Patent No. 3334536: Releasable Nut with Radial and Longitudinal Lockout, 8-8-1967.
2 Killed in Flash at Bermite, 8-26-1969, • News Reports, August 1969.
LW2751 - Whittaker Bermite Service Award Pendant, 12k G.F., Diamond, Rubies, 1967-1987.
GT9100 - Whittaker-Bermite Site, c. 1991. Aerial Photo.
Analysis of Perchlorate Containment in Groundwater Near the Whittaker-Bermite Property • CH2MHILL, 12-2-2004.
Initial Site Assessments: Cross Valley Connector (East) & Golden Valley Bridge • L.A. County 2005-2006.
Golden Valley Bridge Over Santa Clara River: Environmental Assessment, Caltrans & City of Santa Clarita, March 2008.
LW2336 - DTSC Uses Bacteria to Rid Whittaker-Bermite of Perchlorate, 2013.
Community Update: Whittaker-Bermite Facility Cleanup • DTSC, August 2017.
LW3020 - USGS Maps Showing Honby, 1929-1960.
HB3801 - Honby School, Student Body, 1938.
HB3902 - Honby School, Student Body, 1939.
Ernie Cooke & Daughter Ernestine at Balsz Ranch in Honby, mid-1940s.
Tina Cooke, Charlotte Chacanaca & Susan Cooke at Balsz Ranch in Honby, late 1940s.
HB6001 - Structures at Original Honby School Site, ~1960s.
DM6801 - Honby Men's Club, 1968.
OX7401 - Honby Elementary School Staff, 1974-75.
HB7502 - Mrs. Gilbert's 6th Grade Class, Honby School, 1974-75.
GZ0101 - Pam Bordelon and Jerry Koopman at Jack Lilley's Ranch in Honby, ~1976 (5 Views).
Ted C. Garcia at Balsz Ranch, Honby, 1980s
LEGACY | Blazing Saddle Falls: Jack Lilley Rides • SCVTV (Video) 2017.
New Home Communities
- Sutters Pointe: Floor Plans, n.d. (~1978); Developer Pleads to Grand Theft, Dies.
- Circle J Ranch & Equestrian Center: Sales Brochure & Floor Plans, 1981.
- Mountainview West: Sales Brochure & Floor Plans, 1985.
- Mountainview Courtyards: Tract Maps & Floor Plans, 1987.
- Mountainview: The Homes: Tract Maps & Floor Plans, Late 1980s.
: Circle J Tract Under Construction and Allan Trautman as Tarman in "Return of the Living Dead Part II," 1988.
- Oak Lane by Beazer at Circle J: Tract Maps & Floor Plans, 2000.
Plum Canyon: Synergy-Brookfield LLC Keystone (Five Knolls) Subdivision