Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> SAUGUS
Surrey Inn
Saugus, California


Click image to enlarge

Saugus was named for the Massachusetts birthplace of local land owner Henry Mayo Newhall. The town took shape in 1887 when the Saugus Train Station was erected at the approximate site of the old Newhall Depot. (The town of Newhall and its depot were established in 1876 near the intersection of present-day San Fernando Road and Magic Mountain Parkway. The town and depot picked up and moved two miles south, to Sixth Street and Railroad Avenue, in January-February 1878.)

Saugus station master Ore W. Bercaw opened the two-story Surrey Inn, seen in this 1920s photograph, in 1911. As postmaster in 1906, he renamed the town "Surrey" for unknown reasons. In 1915, the Surrey Post Office was renamed Saugus, and the Surrey name faded away.


AL1924: 9600 dpi jpeg from 300 dpi jpeg of original photograph
DOWNTOWN
SAUGUS / SURREY

SEE ALSO:
BERCAW FAMILY
Reynolds Story
thumbnail
Bercaw Store 1907

thumbnail
1910s

thumbnail
Surrey Inn ~1910s

thumbnail
Surrey Postmark 1912

thumbnail
L.A. Aqueduct Letter 1912

thumbnail
Surrey Postmark 1910s

thumbnail
Surrey Inn 1920s

thumbnail
1921

thumbnail
7-25-1931

thumbnail
3-29-1936

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply
  • Edwards Valencia
  • Edwards Cyn Ctry
  • Calendar
  • Freeway Conditions
  • Lowest Gas Prices
  • Canyon Theatre
  • The MAIN