Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> SAUGUS
Surrey Postmark
Saugus, California


Click image to enlarge

thumbnail
Back

thumbnail
Front

In 1906, when merchant Ore Bercaw came to town and was named postmaster, the name of Saugus post office was changed to Surrey. The reasons are lost to time, but the name stuck until 1915 when the name reverted to Saugus.

Real photo postcard of a local mountain view, canceled March 2?, 1912, at Surrey. The post office was located inside Bercaw's store, on the west side of Highway 4 (Bouquet Canyon Road), roughly across the street from the Southern Pacific Saugus Depot.

The post card is addressed to Mrs. P. McAnany, Los Angeles - West Glendale R.F.D. No. 5, California, and reads:

"Dear McAnany / When are you folks coming out the roads are good now / How is Phillis. Grace is in town stopping with the 'Dears' for a few days / Maybe Mr Gray and myself will in Easter Sunday. Best wishes to Mom / Mrs. John Gray."


LP1201b: 19200 dpi jpeg from smaller jpeg purchased 2014 by Lauren Parker.
DOWNTOWN
SAUGUS / SURREY

SEE ALSO:
BERCAW FAMILY
Reynolds Story
thumbnail
Bercaw Store 1907

thumbnail
1910s

thumbnail
Surrey Inn ~1910s

thumbnail
Surrey Postmark 1912

thumbnail
L.A. Aqueduct Letter 1912

thumbnail
Surrey Postmark 1910s

thumbnail
Surrey Inn 1920s

thumbnail
1921

thumbnail
7-25-1931

thumbnail
3-29-1936

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply