Wood's Garage was located at Saugus Junction, and more particularly at the curve in the road that is now the intersection of Bouquet Canyon Road and Magic Mountain Parkway.
It was immediately north of the Saugus Cafe (1925 building, now gone) which is partially visible at far left.
Wood was originally Richard "Dick" Wood, brother and eventual business partner of Saugus Cafe owner Martin Wood. According to historian Jerry Reynolds,
Richard Wood converted his blacksmith shop into an auto garage around 1916 when the Ridge Route brought a bunch of newfangled jalopies
into the area and it was beginning to look like more than a passing fad.
Indeed, cars were still around in the late 1950s, when this photo was shot.
About the photographer:
HAROLD G. DEINES (1922-1970) brought his family to the Santa Clarita 1954 and taught photography and drivers' education at Hart High School.
He also was the proprietor of Pin N' Pen Photo Stationers in Newhall.
Harold and wife
Esther were married in 1944 in Kansas,
where Harold was the sports and society photographer for the Wichita Eagle newspaper. They lived briefly in Tucson, Ariz., prior to their arrival in Newhall (Chestnut Street), where they
raised four children — Glenn, Anita (Barnes), Sylvia (Wortman) and Myrna (Litt). Not yet 50, Harold succumbed to a long illness; Esther (1921-2009) continued her teaching and adminstrative career with the Newhall School District,
sang in the church choir (Santa Clarita United Methodist) and was active in the SCV Senior Center and Friends of the Library.