The Southern Pacific Railroad's 1888 Saugus depot had to be cut in half before Simpson House Movers could truck it to William S. Hart Park
via San Fernando Road — now known as Railroad Avenue and Main Street, which was a 4-lane highway (126) at the time.
Photos show preparations for the move; the overnight move itself on June 24-25, 1980; and the subsequent creation of the reinforced concrete-block foundation upon which it was placed in September 1980.
The depot was painted white with light-green trim. The Guthrie family's upstairs trailer-living room was still attached.
Photos courtesy of Cynthia Neal-Harris (featured in last photo), who led the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society's effort to save the depot from the wrecking ball. Photographs (color transparencies-slide film) made by her husband, Norman Harris, a Historical Society board member.
NC8003: Download original images here