Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures

Saugus Train Station Move
To Heritage Junction


Click to enlarge

Tuesday, June 24, 1980: Los Angeles County Supervisor Baxter Ward (second from left) watches the 1887 Saugus Train Station move from its original location at Bouquet Canyon Road at Drayton Street to Heritage Junction Historic Park in Newhall. To the right of Ward is photographer Gary Thornhill (center), then Signal newspaper editor Scott Newhall (whose wife, Ruth, led the fundraising drive to move the depot), then Signal photographer Tony Mason at right.

We don't know who was behind the camera. This photograph comes to us from Gary Thornhill, but he's in it.


The Saugus train station {opened June 21, 1888, the Southern Pacific Railroad having completed its spur line to Ventura in 1887 along the present-day alignment of Magic Mountain Parkway to State Route 126 through Castaic Junction, Camulos, Piru, Fillmore, Santa Paula and Saticoy — where the SP also erected depots or sidings of various size.

The large, two-story Saugus depot followed a "Common Standard" set of SP blueprints and stood at the southeast corner of present-day Drayton Street and Railroad Avenue (previously San Fernando Road). Tolfree's Saugus Eating House occupied the north side of the depot until 1905 when it moved across the street into its own building and became the Saugus Café (the name had been in use since 1899).

President Benjamin Harrison came through (without stopping) in April 1891, and Theodore Roosevelt is said to have been met at the depot by California governor and Acton gold mine owner Henry T. Gage in 1903. Twenty years later, Charlie Chaplin used the depot in "The Pilgrim," and in 1954 another U.S. president was scheduled to stop at the depot but the feds caught wind of an assassination attempt in time. Of course, this last one was Hollywood fiction; the movie was "Suddenly" and the assassin was played by Frank Sinatra. Saugus and Newhall were used extensively as the film locations.

Passenger service ended in April 1971 and the last station agent, James "Bob" Guthrie, shuttered the depot for good on Nov. 15, 1978. Facing demolition by the SP, the depot was rescued in 1980 through a fundraising effort organized by the Santa Clarita Valley Historical Society, then just 4½ years old. During the night of June 24-25, 1980, it was moved two miles south to the society's home at Heritage Junction at William S. Hart County Park in Newhall, where its film career continued (e.g., "The Grifters" with John Cusack and Angelica Huston, 1989).

Today the depot is an educational venue for visiting elementary school students and patrons of the SCV Historical Society's lectures and film showings, as well as the home to the society's offices, collections, meetings, and the community's "temporary" history museum while the Pardee House at Heritage Junction is turned into a permanent museum facility.


GT8064: 9600 dpi jpeg from original print
Moving SPRR Saugus Depot

See Also:
• SPRR Saugus Depot


thumbnail


thumbnail

Press Release 6/3/1980: Depot to Move

thumbnail

Plot Plan, 3/19/1980

thumbnail

Depot Move

thumbnail

Depot Move

thumbnail

Depot Move

thumbnail

Depot Move

thumbnail

Photo Gallery

thumbnail

Depot Move (Mult.); Donor List

thumbnail

Baxter Ward,
Scott Newhall

thumbnail

Baxter Ward,
Scott Newhall

thumbnail

July 4 Parade 1980

thumbnail

Excavation

thumbnail

Excavation

thumbnail

Pottery Sherd 1891/1905

thumbnail

Set on Foundation 9/10/1980

thumbnail

L.A. Times 9/11/1983

thumbnail

Movers: Fred & Robert Simpson

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply