Los Angeles Aqueduct construction camp at Saugus, 1911. The view is from (what would become) the Bermite Powder Co. hill, looking west. In the foreground is the aqueduct
camp. (This area would later become
Keysor-Century Corp.) Beyond that are the Southern Pacific Railroad tracks and Bouquet Canyon Road. Beyond that, a small locomotive appears to be rounding the curve of the SPRR's Saugus
spur line to Ventura, along the alignment of Highway 126 (today's Magic Mountain Parkway).
Photo by The West Coast Art Co. of Los Angeles.
See this same camp from the opposite direction here.
Scorza & Wright (1876-1926:44) identify this photograph as follows:
Panoramic view of California Aqueduct Camp in Saugus, 1911. In 1907, the Los Angeles Aqueduct was going to be built. For the next six years, Saugus Junction
was used as the jumping off place for the aqueduct. Equipment and supplies were unloaded at the train station and sent by mule-drawn wagons to the construction
site. The engineer was William Mulholland, the same person who would build the St. Francis Dam a few years later [in 1924]. Temporary tent houses were set up east
of the railroad tracks for employees to live in. To the left of the tent houses were the hospital, Desmond's Commissary, the Storehouse, and finally the