Los Angeles Aqueduct Construction Headquarters at Saugus Junction, n.d. (1907-1912).
Extremely faded or undeveloped sepiatone real photo postcard, edited to (roughly) black and white for legibility.
Click to enlarge.
The sign on the building in the center reads: "L.A. AQUEDUCT / HEADQUARTERS / SAUGUS DIVISION."
Saugus Junction is where the roads that are now (2017) known as Railroad Avenue, Bouquet Canyon Road and Magic Mountain Parkway come together. The intersection is
behind and to the right of the photographer.
The view is what is now (2017) the north end of Springbrook Avenue. The old (1950s) Keysor-Century Records plant would be at the right side of the photo. See modern view below.
The subject matter is the same as in this photo, but from the opposite direction.
Beginning in 1907, this location was used for six years as the jumping off place for the aqueduct.
Equipment and supplies were unloaded at the nearby Saugus train station and sent by mule-drawn wagons to the construction site.
The engineer was William Mulholland, the same person who would build the St. Francis Dam in 1924.
Temporary tent houses were set up east of the railroad tracks for employees.
Google Earth view, 2017. Click to enlarge.
LW3052: 9600 dpi jpeg from original RPPC purchased 2017 by Leon Worden, ex-Holabird auction.