Santa Clarita Valley History In Pictures
> ROADS   > SAUGUS

Initial Site Assessments:
Cross Valley Connector (East), Golden Valley Bridge

[ Open .pdf in new window ]

Initial Site Assessment for the Golden Valley Road Bridge Project (2006) starts on page 1.

Initial Site Assessment for the Cross Valley Connector East Project (2005) starts on page 121.

Note: These documents say Bermite's predecessor, Halafax Explosives Co. (misspelled "Halifax") started operations in 1906. This information does not appear to be attributed; the 2006 study cites the 2005 study, which cites a now-defunct DTSC website as a general source of information. According to this 2004 DTSC document, a predecessor of Bermite started operations in 1934.

In fact, Halafax opened its (future Bermite) plant in April 1935. While we can't rule out the possiblity of 1906, we have no evidence of explosives or munitions manufacture anywhere in the region prior to about 1918, when ex-boxer James Jeffries manufactured gunpowder for bullets on a section of the future Bermite property. He retained mineral rights to part of the land, which is why his name appears on a map in this document even after his death in 1953.

BERMITE ENVIRONS

SEE ALSO:
• Baker Ranch Rodeo (Saugus Speedway)


thumbnail

Map: Bermite No. 1 Oil Well 1958

thumbnail

Map: Bonelli No. 2 Oil Well 1959

thumbnail

Gusher 1963

Cross Valley Connector / Golden Valley Bridge: Initial Assessment 2005-2006


thumbnail

Golden Valley Bridge Over Santa Clara River: Environmental Assessment 2008

RETURN TO TOP ]   RETURN TO MAIN INDEX ]   PHOTO CREDITS ]   BIBLIOGRAPHY ]   BOOKS FOR SALE ]
SCVHistory.com is another service of SCVTV, a 501c3 Nonprofit • Site contents ©SCVTV • Additional copyrights apply