Charles Raggio, who with Juan Bautista Suraco (aka Suracco) operated a store that catered to gold miners
in Placeritas Canyon, acquired this ranch from the Perea (aka Pereida) family in about 1880. Some of the
buildings in this photograph, taken in 1887, had been used as a stage stop as early as 1854. The ranch buildings
were destroyed in the St. Francis Dam Disaster of 1928.
What we don't know is exactly where this was. If you know the property address, please contact us.
Historian A.B. Perkins writes:
This picture is of particular interest because either the building at the lower left, an adobe covered
with board and batt, or another similar structure (an extension of the building at lower left but not here
visible), was the Stage Station known as "Moore's," later on known as Hollands, or Hollandsville, dating
from about 1854. It was the first Stage Stop northerly from Lyon Station in Newhall.
Raggio's was a typical canyon ranch of its date. The larger building, at right, housed the Winery and Store. The
grapevine in back of the Winery was 48 inches in diameter. The ranch, as a whole, was a vineyard. In front of
the home (at left), Mrs. Raggio can barely be discerned. Some of the five Raggio brothers are visible on
Charles Raggio's job might be described as a local buyer in the Santa Clara Valley (Santa Clarita Valley) of just about
everything from honey to beef, which he resold in Los Angeles.
Photograph originally from Security First National
Bank. Story from Frank LeBrun, 1966.